20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke drain plug

Albertafisher

Recruit
Hi, I have a 20 hp 2 stroke evinrude. I recently changed the lower unit oil. After my first trip of the year, I decided to change the oil again and found a bit of water as it drained. I noticed that the top drain plug had a oil slick coming down the unit. The plug was tight but not flush with the housing. I checked for cross threading, old gasket and all clear. I attempted to screw the plug back in and it goes tight but not flush. I thought maybe I mixed up the plugs and moved the bottom one to the top with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke drain plug

Original threads?..... I'm wondering if someone stripped the threads at one time and installed a Heli Coil at a slight angle.

Suggestion... Install two fiber type gaskets on the screw. The combined thicker gasket hopefully will fill the off level gap.

Albertafisher

Recruit
Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to try that next.They are the original plugs. I took it from my grandfather a few years ago. It seems to be going in on an angle.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah, put more gasket material on and see what you get. Could do that and call it a day.

Pullstarter

Recruit
I filled my lowercase unit with oil on 1982 evinrude 25hp. There is a small hole to the left of the top vent screw and oil began to seep out that hole. What's happening?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I filled my lowercase unit with oil on 1982 evinrude 25hp. There is a small hole to the left of the top vent screw and oil began to seep out that hole. What's happening?

This post is 4 years 5 months old... Start a new thread.