20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke drain plug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke drain plug

Hi, I have a 20 hp 2 stroke evinrude. I recently changed the lower unit oil. After my first trip of the year, I decided to change the oil again and found a bit of water as it drained. I noticed that the top drain plug had a oil slick coming down the unit. The plug was tight but not flush with the housing. I checked for cross threading, old gasket and all clear. I attempted to screw the plug back in and it goes tight but not flush. I thought maybe I mixed up the plugs and moved the bottom one to the top with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Re: 20 hp Evinrude 2 stroke drain plug

Original threads?..... I'm wondering if someone stripped the threads at one time and installed a Heli Coil at a slight angle.

Suggestion... Install two fiber type gaskets on the screw. The combined thicker gasket hopefully will fill the off level gap.
    Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to try that next.They are the original plugs. I took it from my grandfather a few years ago. It seems to be going in on an angle.

Comment

yeah, put more gasket material on and see what you get. Could do that and call it a day.
        1970 16ft no name trihull skiff, 40hp evinrude tiller
        1997 Caravelle 1750 BR, 3.0 Mercrusier
        1994 GMC sierra 4x4

Happy boat building, Johnny

Comment

I filled my lowercase unit with oil on 1982 evinrude 25hp. There is a small hole to the left of the top vent screw and oil began to seep out that hole. What's happening?

Comment

Have your lower unit pressure and vacuum checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullstarter View Post
              I filled my lowercase unit with oil on 1982 evinrude 25hp. There is a small hole to the left of the top vent screw and oil began to seep out that hole. What's happening?
              This post is 4 years 5 months old... Start a new thread.
              Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

Working...
              X