1978 J/E Power Pilot control box wire question

justinwerner

Cadet
I need to identify the purpose of this green/yellow stripe wire coming from my control box headed in the direction of my electric bus under the console, but is not connected to anything. Motor starts, runs fine, however there is no power to the bus, so all electrical components connected to the bus wont work without a hot line running directly from the battery. The issue with this is that some gauges remain on because this hot line bypasses the ignition switch. (i.e. the fuel gauge is always on and will drain the battery). Any thoughts? See attached photo. control box.JPG

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 J/E Power Pilot control box wire question

What do you get from the wire when you hook up a multi-meter to it?

justinwerner

Cadet

Setup...Positive lead to the green/yellow wire, negative to good ground. Results...Ignition switch set to off, 0.05v. and Ignition switch set to on, 12.45v... sooooo the green yellow wire is the power for the bus, yes,probably?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It may have been added by a prior owner. You can look thru the wiring diagrams, found in the top (first thread) on page 1. Called Top Secret files. I don't see that color wire in the typical wiring diagrams for OMC control boxes. Most newer boats run a sizeable fused wire direct from the battery to the dash, where the radio, gauges, bilge, horn and pumps would connect. Usually each of these are switched at the dash in order to cut them off when not needed. This method keeps all the power demands out of the control box and bypasses the small (20 amp) fuse for the engine itself. If you run too much thru the switch in the control box, you run the risk of blowing the engine fuse when you are in the middle of the lake and then the starter won't function.

justinwerner

Cadet

So short term solution is use this line as the power for the accessories and carry extra fuses. Longer term solution is to run a 20amp fused line from the battery to a master switch on the dash and that will power on the bus and accessories. Thank you all for your help and insight.