Johnson 9 1/2 hp carb issues HELP!

Capt'nawsome

Recruit
I have a Johnson 9 1/2 hp that has been sitting for years and have been trying to revive it back to life. I have replaced spark plugs , reset points, and cleaned/repaired the carburetor. But it will only start unless I pour mix fuel in. It is getting gas to the bowl and filling it, fuel pump is also brand new. I think it could still be a stuck needle valve and was properly working when I reassembled the carburetor. The lean/rich dial was messed up in the process and was fixed, but not sure.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 9 1/2 hp carb issues HELP!

How do you have the low speed needle valve set?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you clean the main jet, bottom front of carb, behind screw?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

The 9.5 carbs are known for being problematic when it comes to dirt, They must be absolutely clean.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Does the float actually float? Did the kit have a clip to pull out the needle from the seat?

Capt'nawsome

Recruit

I've actually did not use a kit on the carb but kept special tools that the kits I have bought in the past. All my gaskets are airtight. I'm going to take it apart and see if the float and low speed needle are working properly. Thanks for the help!

Capt'nawsome

Recruit

The motor is trying to start without fuel being sprayed into the carb, just a leak preventing the motor to run. After that it should run fine