Evinrude 1976 Model 25653 25 HP exhaust housing shaft has spring stuck in it!

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
OUCH! I took off lower unit replaced impeller. Cleaned everything up great and was ready to reinstall it. In my attempt to engage it to the upper unit (power head), I heard a clank. I didn't think it was major as I wasn't applying much force. It was late last night. I slept on it and this AM found that a spring is in the exhaust housing chamber! YIKES! I am looking at the service manual diagram and it appears that it could be part of the upper unit (POWERHEAD)! Ouch! I really don't want to disassemble the carb, fuel, flywheel, etc just to get to the spring. IF I DON'T HAVE TO!

If anyone has any other way to get to that spring ... it's my first go at this level. I've done impellers before and never had this trouble. Also, I noticed that the shaft from the lower unit had no O ring where it attaches to the POWER HEAD. Perhaps it got all chopped up, but that would have fallen out when I opened it and there was nothing. I just got this motor used on craigslist and perhaps the last job on it wasn't done correctly. OR, the O ring stays up in the POWER HEAD? I don't think so.

I will stop at this point and see what all YOU PROs have for input.

Your help is always greatly appreciated! And please excuse me up front if my explanation needs more clarity. Tried to be specific here.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Evinrude 1976 Model 25653 25 HP exhaust housing shaft has spring stuck in it!

Quick update to say that actually the upper unit shows no spring as I took another look at the power head diagram! Actually from any description I've read in section 5 power head and section 6 lower unit, there is nothing in the evinrude service manual that explains what this spring is! HELP! Could someone have stuck this in there before!? Or, does anyone think that it goes over the top of shaft when I'm reinstalling the shaft to the power head? Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1976 Model 25653 25 HP exhaust housing shaft has spring stuck in it!

That spring is from the lower crankshaft seal (on the powerhead). It is of utmost importance that it all be there, in good condition and properly assembled. If it is not, water will get into the crankcase, through the lower main bearing, and slowly but totally destroy all the internal parts of the powerhead. I said slowly.....but actually the word is rapidly if used in salt water.

You MUST pull the powerhead and fix it, now. You don't have to remove the carburetor, flywheel and all that other stuff you mention. Remove the shifter lock bar from the starboard side, the vertical throttle shaft from the port side, disconnect the fuel hoses and any other wires, etc, unbolt the powerhead and lift it off. You will need any of the damaged seal parts, and a new gasket to put it back together.

EDIT: The seal parts are shown on the crankshaft & pistons page of the parts book.

EDIT, EDIT: When you reinstall the seal, look closely at the snap ring. One side has sharp edges, while the other side has slightly rounded edges. Very Important!!!! The sharp edges side goes down (toward the propeller). That keeps spring pressure from popping it off.

Last edited:

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Headed to work ... ON THE MOTOR of course. Really appreciate the input and here we go. I'll post back after several days since I leave for a road trip but back on it when I return on May 18th. Thanks and this gives me some GREAT INFO to get on it.

a70eliminator

Captain

That spring is from the lower crankshaft seal (on the powerhead). It is of utmost importance that it all be there, in good condition and properly assembled. If it is not, water will get into the crankcase, through the lower main bearing, and slowly but totally destroy all the internal parts of the powerhead. I said slowly.....but actually the word is rapidly if used in salt water.

You MUST pull the powerhead and fix it, now. You don't have to remove the carburetor, flywheel and all that other stuff you mention. Remove the shifter lock bar from the starboard side, the vertical throttle shaft from the port side, disconnect the fuel hoses and any other wires, etc, unbolt the powerhead and lift it off. You will need any of the damaged seal parts, and a new gasket to put it back together.

EDIT: The seal parts are shown on the crankshaft & pistons page of the parts book.

EDIT, EDIT: When you reinstall the seal, look closely at the snap ring. One side has sharp edges, while the other side has slightly rounded edges. Very Important!!!! The sharp edges side goes down (toward the propeller). That keeps spring pressure from popping it off.

And I was just about to suggest the spring had come from inside the exhaust tube rubber hose as I know my 60hp evinrude has a spring inside that tube that keeps it from ever pinching I guess, not sure the 25hp even use the rubber exhaust hose.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Got the power it off now deciphering what parts I need to replace. Looks like it wasn't taken care of. Mythical but not impossible! You guys have been a real help thus far. Working away and enjoying it! :)

Last edited:

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it's been a good day of disassembling everything down to 4 sections of engine. I figured since I'm down this deep, might as well clean it all up and take my time ONCE! I might as well rebuild carb while I am at it and change fuel filters too! It is FILTHY! I will post when I get back at it. Headed out of town in 7 hours for a week. When I get back I'll have renewed energy and ready to put all the pieces back together ... thanks for saving this engine with such great advice! Headed towards a practically rebuilt motor! :)

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Update on where I am at. I have inspected the power head and cleaned up all gaskets removing what will be replaced. ALL GASKETS have been order to be replaced. My question is about the dark build up when I pulled apart the head and around where the piston is was quite BLACK with build up. NO CORROSION but definite build up that was thick when I cleaned it. Does it just need to be cleaned or is there something else I should be doing since I have the unit broken down this far? I have all fuel filters ordered to replace and a carb kit as well. I presume the build up is from that but don't want to miss something since I'm here at this point. Appreciate any and all input. Thanks guys!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not exactly sure what areas you mean. If you mean the piston tops, inside the combustion chamber of the cylinder head, and the exhaust area, black carbon in those areas is completely normal. It is a byproduct of burning gasoline and oil. If it is thick to the point of possibly flaking off (piston tops & head), go ahead and scrape it off. But no need to get it squeaky clean. Don't worry about inside the exhaust passages. That is just a "chimney" (so to speak).

Of course, you should always clean any areas where the gaskets contact for a good seal.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Not exactly sure what areas you mean. If you mean the piston tops, inside the combustion chamber of the cylinder head, and the exhaust area, black carbon in those areas is completely normal. It is a byproduct of burning gasoline and oil. If it is thick to the point of possibly flaking off (piston tops & head), go ahead and scrape it off. But no need to get it squeaky clean. Don't worry about inside the exhaust passages. That is just a "chimney" (so to speak).

Of course, you should always clean any areas where the gaskets contact for a good seal.

That's great advice. I will take that and run with it as it's exactly as you have described and apparently is normal usage and wear! That's a good thing! I will proceed when I return to it next week and clean everything real good as far as I can reach and put it all back together per spec with lubricants accordingly. Then onto the test tank for the next update ... hopefully.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Based on your description of replacement, I had a question based on the attached picture. Should I just replace the parts that were loose or just put it back together. Those parts weren't broken, bent or damaged from what I can tell. The picture represents the upside down head and the crankshaft end that had the parts in tact through the upper washer, which is AFTER the carbon seal. I used marinengineparts.com breakdown for this reference. After that washer, it's the three parts that show on their diagram that were in the exhaust housing chamber, which is how this all started. I am presuming that just putting those back up as you instructed, and locking them into place with the final piece, which is the retaining ring, would suffice? Then we could move forward to everything else and assemble accordingly? Now, I did notice that one part is a mystery in that daigram vs part list on the marineengingparts.com page. They list a part #29 which is NOT on the diagram and is an O ring. I have tried to match that with the shaft O ring that's from the lower end and it's not the same. Is there an O ring that attaches to something else I am not seeing in the diagram? If so, I can't seem to find it. For reference, here is the entire link just FYI. You input here is much appreciated. http://www.*****************/parts/...urer=Evinrude&section=Crankshaft+&+Piston
IMG_6467.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

#29 on the parts list I'm looking at goes on the top bearing.

Never mind that. I can't tell from the picture what you have installed. But here goes:

1. An o-ring (or maybe a quad ring) goes inside the carbon seal.
2. The carbon seal and internal o-ring slides on the crankshaft, raised ridge against the bearing. Use oil
3. The large stainless washer goes on next. Flat side against the carbon. raised lip facing down toward the spring to center it.
4. Spring next.
5. The small stainless washer next. Raised lip goes inside the spring to center it.
6. The retaining ring. Flat, sharp edges down.

That's it. That's all that goes on there. There are other O-rings shown, for example one that goes around the outside of the bearing. You aren't concerned with that one, because you don't have the bearing out.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

#29 on the parts list I'm looking at goes on the top bearing.

Never mind that. I can't tell from the picture what you have installed. But here goes:

1. An o-ring (or maybe a quad ring) goes inside the carbon seal.
2. The carbon seal and internal o-ring slides on the crankshaft, raised ridge against the bearing. Use oil
3. The large stainless washer goes on next. Flat side against the carbon. raised lip facing down toward the spring to center it.
4. Spring next.
5. The small stainless washer next. Raised lip goes inside the spring to center it.
6. The retaining ring. Flat, sharp edges down.

That's it. That's all that goes on there. There are other O-rings shown, for example one that goes around the outside of the bearing. You aren't concerned with that one, because you don't have the bearing out.

Oh wow, it just hit me. Isn't it amazing you can see a diagram over and over and miss the simplest of things. Of course I'm the only one that does that! Huh, how simple was that! Now I see #29! Actually I am down past the carbon seal through 25. That part never came off. It's only 26-28 that came loose probably from the snap ring being undone or something of that nature. In any event I head home today from CT back to So Cal to work on it Saturday. I do have a question in regard to the carbon seal. Is there a way to test it? Or should I just leave well enough alone since it looks ok from what I can see. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it looks ok, no cracks or chips on sealing surface, and o-ring is not petrified, and slides onto the oiled shaft smoothly, and shaft is not rusted, it is good to go.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Have been working on the reassemble and it's going good so far. I have about 70 pounds of pressure from one cylinder and 760 pounds of pressure from the. Is that good? I have a spring leftover and a few washers, the spring is driving me nuts I cannot figure out where it comes from. I have checked every parts breakdown I've checked every page of every manual off and online! I have nothing. Can You please look at the picture and see if you recognize it? It has 14 rungs in the coil of the spring and it looks like an external part because it's painted blue like the external casing. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm almost there! Then the real test in the tank and on the water.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Have been working on the reassemble and it's going good so far. I have about 70 pounds of pressure from one cylinder and 760 pounds of pressure from the. Is that good? I have a spring leftover and a few washers, the spring is driving me nuts I cannot figure out where it comes from. I have checked every parts breakdown I've checked every page of every manual off and online! I have nothing. Can You please look at the picture and see if you recognize it? It has 14 rungs in the coil of the spring and it looks like an external part because it's painted blue like the external casing. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm almost there! Then the real test in the tank and on the water.