'78 Evinrude 35 HP - No water from overboard indicator, but pump working

mburmeister

Cadet
I bought a boat and motor last fall and got the motor running this spring. I noticed I didn't have any water pumping at all so I replaced the impeller. Now I have water out the back two exhaust holes on the housing but nothing out of the overboard indicator which has a tube coming from engine. I even pulled the tube off and blew through it. It was bone dry. I have the water tube lined up correctly otherwise I would not have any water from the exhaust holes on the housing correct?

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lltITI0WI

78 mckee

Seaman
Re: '78 Evinrude 35 HP - No water from overboard indicator, but pump working

Pull the tube from the fitting on the exhaust cover and see if water exits the fitting. If so, the problem is in the tube or fitting in the lower housing. If no water from the fitting, there may be an obstruction within the water jacket. If you remove the tube and you get steam or exhaust gases coming out of the fitting, then you have a gasket issue that would need to be resolved before taking it to the water. You may have water pumping but it may not be getting all the way to the top of the power head water jacket.

Last edited:

mburmeister

Cadet

I pulled the fitting and there was no water, only a small amount of smoke.

78 mckee

Seaman

OK, so there is no water getting to the power head from the pump. That could mean that the water tube did not make it into the port on the top of the pump during reassembly of the lower unit to the exhaust housing, there is an exhaust leak into the water jacket which is displacing the water and keeping it from making it to the top, or there may be a problem with the thermostat and bypass that is not allowing the water to fill the water jacket cavity when the motor is first started. Check the tube first, since it is the simplest of the fixes.

Last edited:

joeseif

Seaman Apprentice

could be the plate between the block and the water jacket. i had one that corroded threw and did the same thing with smoke coming out were water should.

mburmeister

Cadet

OK, so there is no water getting to the power head from the pump. That could mean that the water tube did not make it into the port on the top of the pump during reassembly of the lower unit to the exhaust housing, there is an exhaust leak into the water jacket which is displacing the water and keeping it from making it to the top, or there may be a problem with the thermostat and bypass that is not allowing the water to fill the water jacket cavity when the motor is first started. Check the tube first, since it is the simplest of the fixes.

Would there be a spray of water coming out of the two holes in the exhaust housing(as seen in video) if the water tube wasn't into the port? Trying to get the tube into the hole wasn't the hardest thing because the tube was wiggling around and you can't see where it's going when you start to slide it up.

78 mckee

Seaman

The exhaust housing can fill with water without the pump turning or pumping since you are forcing water in to the intake ports with a hose and adapter and that can fill the housing. With no water coming out of the fitting where the hose connects and smoke or steam coming out instead, (if it is actually smoke, we may have an exhaust leak into the water jacket, but even with an exhaust leak we might also see some water along with it) at this point it must be assumed that there is no cooling for the power head.

If there is no problem with the reassembly of the lower unit you are looking at removing the exhaust cover and plate...that can be a problem if the bolts cannot be removed without breaking them off. Best to make sure the pump is right before proceeding to tougher work.

Last edited: