1980 70 HP Johnson - Remove Lower Unit - Replace Water Pump

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Attempted to remove ring washer and seal at the bottom of the driveshaft. Removed a small rubber piece - likely part of the seal.

But the outside wall of the ring washer is difficult to grasp and I cannot remove it.

Here is the old washer/seal. Any suggestions how to remove it? Or what tool should I use?

Thanks in advance folks!

:)

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need to replace the cowling gasket.

Original was white.

I can get a white or black replacement. I think black would look better?

The gasket was installed by the OEM using staples. Does anyone have experience replacing the cowling gasket? What is the a best practice to install?

TIA! :)

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
At 5:17 of the Johnson Outboard Water Pump Removal and Installation video the gasket I am referring to can be seen on the surface. (grey)

Do I need this gasket? And do I need the gasket sealant to install the gasket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weW3umky380

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Removed 4 bolts from the part below the impeller plate.

Each bolt had blue ends - maybe some kind of Loctite?

I want to replace the seal/washer ring from the base of the gear shaft but not sure how the part is removed? Or if it needs to be removed to replace the seal ring.

And what is it? Thermostat?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??????---The thermostat is found on the top of the cylinder head !!------------You are looking at the oil seals for the gear housing ( critical parts) they are.---Just pry that bearing housing out and remiove the 2 seals.---Install new ones.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Racer.

Will attempt to pry out gear housing. Looks like it could be difficult. A small pry bar might work.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you think it is difficult you are already beat.----2 small screw driver and it is off in no time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At one time that bearing housing had letters on it saying " front " to install it the correct way.---Look for those letters or mark it yourself.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bearing housing won't budge using screw drivers and wonder bar, etc. Applied penetrating oil too.

Going to pickup a small pry bar to get behind the housing to pull out. Trying not to damage anything.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Talked with an outboard tech who mentioned the oil should be drained before removing the gear housing. Apparently a vacuum can make removing the housing difficult. Will try that tonight.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You would only need to remove the vent screw at the top.------I would run from that " mechanic " with big steps in rapid succession.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok to use Evinrude/Johnson gasket sealing compound when these seals are installed into the gear housing?

There are a bunch of flat rings below the gear housing. Some of them seem a little rough. Any concerns?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That " bunch of flat rings " is actually a shim package.----------Their purpose is to accurately position the pinion gear.-----This makes sure of proper gear mesh and long gear life.----Post pictures.-----Sounds like they need to be replaced.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
First three shims are displayed below. Not sure if they are supposed to be perfectly round but these ones are slightly off. Flash in shinning on center shim.

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
When the gear housing is installed do the chambers need to lineup? There are chambers on both gear housing and side wall.

Side wall

gear housing