Oil mist covering engine 25 Evinrude

stretch751

Cadet
I have a 1970 25hp Evinrude. It starts and runs great, however I do not know why the motor is covered with a fine mist of oil. There is no air filter or air horn. The amount of oil is quite small but I think it is an indication of gas mixture escaping or not being pulled into the carburator which does not seem proper. Could it be from a blowby situation? Thank you for your help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Oil mist covering engine 25 Evinrude

Might be from an exhaust leak too.
Maybe someoine covered it in oil/silicon sometime to inhibit corrosion.
Is a mist visible from motor when running?

stretch751

Cadet

It is oil from the gas mixture, same color. It is a fine mist as it looks like you sprayed it with armor all but I did not. It is not visibly apparent while running but at the end of the day, remove the cowl and there it is with a very small amount condensed in the corners of the bottom.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Could be from a leaking crankshaft seal found under the flywheel area.---------------Also that wee hose that goes up one side of the motor may be split and that will certainly blow oil out.

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My money is on that "wee hose" as racerone described it. When I pick up an old motor that has a lot of oil all over it, that is the first place I check and usually find the lower part of the hose is cracked by the clamp.

stretch751

Cadet

Looks like we have a winner! Sure enough the "wee hose" under the motor had a crack, so guess I'll change every hose possible. Thank you for your good help.

Phredro

Recruit
I’m working on restoring an outboard without a service manual and missing hoses etc and came up on a hose similar to this that wasn’t connected to anything. It’s very small and I know it doesn’t connect to the carburetor. Can you tell me where yours connects? There is another nipple on the housing where the carburetor connects to the engine but I noticed the rubber hose is not long enough to connect there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to post pictures or model #-----Also start a new thread because this one is old and the gustapo will blow it up.