2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Wrexxer

Cadet
Hey guys,

I really need your help! I?ll try and make this short?

2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson)

Last year due to a move in the middle of the summer I only used my boat twice in June 2013 everything was fine and my water pump was working?When came time to prepare it for winter in September 2013, I did like I always did I get all of oil for the the oil changes and I start the motor to empty out the fuel lines. This is where I notice that my ?pee? hole was not spitting water?so I decided to store the boat guessing it was the impeller having issues.

Yesterday, I take the boat and set it up in the garage drain to the oil in the lower unit and start to take it apart to change the impeller (water pump) when I got there I noticed some signs of wear but nothing major so I change the impeller, plate and gasket like I?ve done many times already. Put everything back in place and sure enough?no ?pee? from the hole still?

So I take the lower unit back off and I start fishing some ?weed eater? line and blowing compressed air in every ?Orifice? I can find...and still no pee?

I?ve undone the top thermostat bolts and everything seems dry at that end so seems like the water is not getting there?If I put the compressor in the part that slides into the water pump I can feel air coming from the valve whole in by the dip stick (when cap is undone of course) and the rubber line to the pee whole is clear as well?

Also, when I had the lower unit off I put the ear muffs on and I can see the water coming out of the water pump casing so it?s flowing at that point?

Anyone have any ideas on what to check next?at this point I?m willing to try anything, if I would know where the prostate is I would check it?

Thanks in advance.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 2004 Suzuki DF140 (same as Johnson) water pump issues

Run a water hose up the water tube with the thermostats out and see if water is getting thru the powerhead; should come gushing out thru the thermo hole.

Wrexxer

Cadet

Do you mean the line I identified in the picture?Untitled.jpg

daselbee

Commander

Attach a water hose to the water tube that inserts into the top of the water pump. I use a clear vinyl tube with proper hose fitting on one end.
This is done with the LU off, and you can run it that way.
Will says do that, remove the thermos, or actually run the hose without the thermo cover on, to see if water gushes out.

This will tell you if you have a blockage in the powerhead, or if the LU is actually not pumping.

phillnjack2

Ensign

take the impeller out and check the impeller hub is not spinning !!!!
just because its new don't mean its not a bad rubber hub in the impeller.
with a hose on the water piper going upto the engine you should see water coming out the peephole straight away.
do check that the gasket on water pump is not bad also, again just because its new is not always 100%.
have made double sure the key is in the impeller ? simple stupid thing to forget but ive done it myself.

Wrexxer

Cadet

thanks guys, I will double check all of that tonight! I did double check it yesterday but I was so frustrated that I may have over looked some item. I will put the hose up the pump hole and go from there.

thanks again

Wrexxer

Cadet

Hey Guys,

So last night I put the hose into the flush port and sure enough the water was flowing through the pee hole…put the ear muffs on…no PEE!

So I decided to take of the LU and put the hose directly into the water port and pee whole pee’d again!! I figured it was the impeller at this point so I mounted the LU with a couple of bolts and all of a sudden it’s peeing but I did notice that the ear muffs have to be on perfectly as well…

So either putting the hose in the hole un-clogged something…or that it’s the ear muffs that are sensitive but either way it’s pumping water!!!!

Thanks for all of your help and comments.

PS: While I was looking at this I figured I might as well change the thermostat on the engine…anyone know if it’s a 61c or 70c that comes in the engines by default?? Or recommendations?