1961 Evinrude 75HP StarFlite Power Trim Unit - Hydraulics electical

scarman18

Recruit
I have a 1961 75HP Starflite that I am just getting into (again. its been 10 years) It will be put back on a 1960 Cutter Jet DeVille once the painter gets done with the top side.

After researching part numbers and cross referencing some things I purchased a power trim unit off a 1966 80hp. It came with the brackets, cylinder and pump. It appears that everything will swap over to my 61. I haven't played with the power trim unit yet but I am looking for electrical and hydraulic schematics for these. I have found everything else for the engine but the power trim unit has proven to be elusive adversary so far. My questions

-Is there a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid?
-what is the hydraulic fluid required?
-I could use a wiring diagram for the pump. I was left with about 1/4" of wire coming out of the motor.
- are the motors rebuildable, replaceable?

I am sure there are more questions but I figured Id start here with all of the experts. I found a stripped spark plug hole so maybe this old guy will be faster than I remember on the little 14' fiberglass DeVille.

Thanks
Andy

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1961 Evinrude 75HP StarFlite Power Trim Unit - Hydraulics electical

I don't have access to the diagrams you're looking for, but I can tell you that they didn't make a power trim unit during that era. They only made a power TILT unit. It is for use to tilt motor while not underway. It will not raise the motor while you're underway at anything more than a low idle.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

First of all it is not a power trim unit !-------It is a power tilt only.-------Used on the trailer or low speeds for getting on a beach.------Oil reservour is built in below the motor.----# 30 oil will work or ATF will also work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you use ATF get some Dextron II. That's the best to use.

yorab

Ensign

Post some pics if you can.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You have a power tilt only unit. It is used for lifting and lowering the engine only. It will not hold a tilted position against power being applied to the propeller. The schematic is a simply one as follows.

P-TILTWIRING.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Do the early " tilt only " units use a solemoid ??

scarman18

Recruit

Thank you for all the responses. The power tilt is all I am really looking for anyway so I think this will work out nicely. I appreciate the electrical schematic.
Does anyone know if the motor is available/rebuildable? I think the newer ones are but I havent found a whole lot of info on it.
Also I am looking for some info on the hydraulic circuits. There is a line coming out that doesnt go to anything. I am thinking its for a reservoir but it was stated thats in the bottom of the motor.

Evinrude Power Tilt Capture.JPG

Here is the link to the ebay auction.
1966 Johnson Evinrude Seahorse 80 HP Power Trim Unit Pump Bracket Piston 12V | eBay

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It is not for a reservoir !----The reservoir is inbetween the motor and the pump !----The mystery hose likely goes to a fitting on the tilt cylinder.-------Or it may go to a wee tilt lock release cylinder.---------The wee tilt lock cylinder is often not used or discarded.----More pictures of the pump and the cylinder would make it clear.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

I have one of these kits, NIB, on my workshop shelf. Is anybody interested in seeing the original documentation supplied by OMC?

scarman18

Recruit

I have one of these kits, NIB, on my workshop shelf. Is anybody interested in seeing the original documentation supplied by OMC?

Wow! Yes please if its not too much trouble. Thanks

Willyclay

Captain

Just sent you a Private Message with my email address to avoid spammers in the open forum. Will send you the OMC info as an attachment once I receive your email address.