1971 johnson 125 hp electric shift not cooperating

brickster

Seaman
Gearcase has been rebuilt, new pump, seal, band, shift dog, seals, fluid, old solenoids 5.5 ohms, reassembled, put motor in tank, ran for about a minute, put in forward, motor stopped like key was turned off. Same from neutral to reverse. Bought a nice shifter that tested good, no power to green or blue lead in forward, power to green and blue in reverse and power to green in neutral, now after starting and shifting i have no power to any lead in any position. Any advice would be a great help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 johnson 125 hp electric shift not cooperating

Check the main fuse.

brickster

Seaman

Short 20 amp fuse is actually broken. Will the motor run with a bad fuse, but not shift?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Install a fuse and see what happen !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Short 20 amp fuse is actually broken. Will the motor run with a bad fuse, but not shift?

Yes, it can run but not shift when the fuse is blown. However, you probably also have a charging circuit problem. The alternator should feed the shift circuit while it is running. Your alternator must not be working. Bad rectifier, bad clipper circuit, bad shift diodes (monkey nutz), bad stator, incorrect wiring are several possibilities

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it can run but not shift when the fuse is blown. However, you probably also have a charging circuit problem. The alternator should feed the shift circuit while it is running. Your alternator must not be working. Bad rectifier, bad clipper circuit, bad shift diodes (monkey nutz), bad stator, incorrect wiring are several possibilities

EDIT: I take all that back. I forgot, your motor is battery CD ignition and should NOT run with a blown fuse. Which makes me think the blocking diode may be blown. Now it starts getting complicated, trying to tie it all together. You need to use a wiring diagram and some tests to isolate what may be several problems. Come to think of it, the starter shouldn't crank with a blown fuse, either.