Steering cable compatibility and removal and install 74/77 115/70hp Evinrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I'm pulling my 115hp 1974 Evinrude and replacing it immediately with a 70hp 1977 Evinrude. (1974 Evinrude 115hp Model # 115493B, 1977 Evinrude 70hp Model # 707739) I have a new, been on the water 4 times, steering cable already installed on hull. Since I am already pulling and replacing motors, it would be most practical to extract and reinsert rod as I remove the old and swing new into position.

Are these two models and years hardware compatible?

Is this right or is there a better way?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering cable compatibility and removal and install 74/77 115/70hp Evinrude

They are compatible. Don't forget to grease the tilt tube.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Steering cable compatibility and removal and install 74/77 115/70hp Evinrude

Any recommendations on an appropriate grease for this purpose? Or is the marine grade grease at an auto parts store OK to use? I am all fresh water if that makes any difference.

They are compatible. Don't forget to grease the tilt tube.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The grease need not be a high temp grease, (like a wheel bearing grease) but it's ok if you use it. But it MUST be a waterproof grease, which usually eliminates many automotive greases.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree, should be something like OMC Triple Guard.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all!! I replaced motor today. YEA!!! Old and new were in fact compatible as per Boobie. Had a non movement issue at first, but figured out how to move motor while aligning shaft with steering cable nut loose. Everything smooth now. Guess it has to do with educating the cable to the motor. My motor steering rod hits the port side engine well, but it did that with the old motor as well. Must be the Evinrude combined with my hull. I'll work on that, in the meantime I'll not turn to hard to port, the fish won't mind!!! YEA, I'm re-motored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again to all who responded.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

My steering hits the port side of the well also. Not very safe on a small river and a sudden tight turn. I marked exactly where mine hit and took a 3" hole saw to it. Works great, steering travels perfectly lock-to-lock

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I actually started another thread "Steering rod and steering arm connection hits port side of engine well. Any Fixes? " and am told it has to do with centering of the cable. I'm going to try this adjustment first before anything else. Check out the thread.
My steering hits the port side of the well also. Not very safe on a small river and a sudden tight turn. I marked exactly where mine hit and took a 3" hole saw to it. Works great, steering travels perfectly lock-to-lock

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Read post # 7 again. That steering cable only fits on the motor one way if you want it to work correctly.

Last edited:

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I'm confused. I don't like the 3" hole idea. But, I did start another thread on this subject. "Steering rod and steering arm connection hits port side of engine well. Any Fixes? " Take a look. Thanks
Read post # 7 again. That steering cable only fits on the motor one way if you want it to work correctly.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know of no centering adjustment other than centering the wheel. If you don't find a better way I thought of an idea for the hole' go to walmart and get a cheap plastic recessed cup holder and the appropriate size hole saw. caulk the underside of the rim and pop it in place. you may have to cut the bottom out, you may not. in any case you have a trim ring on it instead of just a bare hole in the fiberglass

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting idea, but I think I will live with the restricted movement as my typical usage of the boat never requires extreme turns at higher speeds.

I know of no centering adjustment other than centering the wheel. If you don't find a better way I thought of an idea for the hole' go to walmart and get a cheap plastic recessed cup holder and the appropriate size hole saw. caulk the underside of the rim and pop it in place. you may have to cut the bottom out, you may not. in any case you have a trim ring on it instead of just a bare hole in the fiberglass

2twodogs

Cadet
Interesting thread. I too am repowering. I am removing a 1988 90hp Johnson and replacing it with a 2008 75hp Etec. Can anyone please advise if this steering is compatible? is compatible

jbcurt00

Staff member
Old topic 2dogs

Just start a new topic about your project motor and steering

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.