Custom ignition switch to replace key question? 1978 55hp

davidyoung99

Recruit
I want to use toggle switches, momentary switch ect to start the motor instead of the key ignition. I bought the manual awhile back and have been using this site as a resource. Im a complete noob at this so please help me out!

The only easy one for me is the "Kill Switch", which when pressed the two M's will connect and cut motor off.'
Im guessing the ON switch can just be a simply on off switch..

Whats the role of the the A or accessory part of the ignition? is it necessary to starting the motor or just for beepers, horns, lights ect. Could I run these accessories on their own switch instead?

boatrtttt.jpg

The START switch would be a rocker switch but im wondering if I could connect the B and the S wire to it and be able to start it?

thanks for help!

davidyoung99

Recruit
Re: Custom ignition switch to replace key question? 1978 55hp

well I just found this so it seemed to simplify it for me! So one last question.. Is the ON button really necessary?

attachment.php

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Custom ignition switch to replace key question? 1978 55hp

I wonder why you are going to such lengths to eliminate the key switch, but to each his own, I reckon. The "A" terminal is hot when the key is in the start or run position. It feeds the hot horn and tachometer plug. You didn't mention it, but you also need a choke switch.