1995 Evinrude shifter problem- will not accelerate in reverse

backstop13

Cadet
Ok, I just bought this boat and noticed when we took it to the lake for a water test that when engaging the top mount shifter into reverse that it would not accelerate, it engages but won't accelerate in reverse. The boat and motor performed too well for me not to buy it at the price they were asking so I figured it was something simple. Well, it isn't simple enough for me to figure out by myself so I need some help. Looks like it may be an old Morse shifter but there is no numbers or labels on the exterior, just an "M" underneath the cover. The boat is a 1995 Kenner, motor is a 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro if that makes any difference. The lever will go all the way down when I depress the button on top, in both directions, but not when engaging reverse. Any ideas? I checked for binding or rubbing and didn't see anything obvious so I'm stumped at this point but know I need that to work, can't just have a slow idle in reverse I need it to accelerate as well. Anyone have access to parts breakdown or installation manual? HELP!!!

backstop13

Cadet
Re: 1995 Evinrude shifter problem- will not accelerate in reverse

OK, I solved my own problem! Whoever installed the cables installed the shift cable in the wrong slot on the control linkage, moved the cable and now it works perfectly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Evinrude shifter problem- will not accelerate in reverse

You're learning. Good job !!