My 58 johnson 7.5 dies when I put it in shift

Aydelott

Cadet
My 58 johnson 7.5 dies when I put it in shift it runs good but I have to start it in gear or it does when I take it's just a little past start toward shift

nwcove

Admiral
Re: My 58 johnson 7.5 dies when I put it in shift

dont pay much attention to the markings on the tiller handle as far as the start/shift deal goes. are you sure its running on both cyls? they will run quite well on one. compression numbers?

Aydelott

Cadet

It seems to be I have to borrow a tester from a friend soon i can't put it past shift to slow either it just dies right past start I'm working on setting the lean rich for slow but where I was told to start it at 3/4 from seated seems to not be close but in not sure it's my first out board

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

3/4 is for high speed, 1.5 is for the low out from seated.

Was there another thread on this?

1. Check compression

2. Check spark on both cylinders with the gap on tester set to 1/4"

3 Go over fuel delivery issues.

Follow these in that order and let us know. So hard to guess at this stuff with limited information.

Another issue as posted in the other thread is the possible bad shock absorber, but lets deal with that if the time comes

nwcove

Admiral

there are good instructions for initial settings for the low speed and high speed needles in the top secret file at the top of this forum, 3/4 turns on the ls needle maybe a little lean. does it sneeze/ jerk before it stalls? has the carb been cleaned and re-kitted?

Aydelott

Cadet

It doesn't seam to sneeze it jerks alittle when it's dieing I'm not sure if the carb has been redone it looked really clean and starts really easy I put new plugs and looked inside an it needs the carbon cleaned out I was reading some post about seafoam for that but I need to research it more