72 Johnson 65hp throttle inner cable too short

ducote32

Seaman
I have a 72 65hp johnson that it seems like the inner throttle cable is to short. I adjusted the trunnion all the way out and it's still about 1/2 inch too short. I've checked the control box for sticking/rubbing and it's still good. I attached a pic for detail.

the cable has 2 bends bigger that 90 degrees and a couple feet under the stern of the boat.

any ideas?

Thanks20140307_125300.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Johnson 65hp throttle inner cable too short

Does the motor run okay and does it idle properly ?? If it does, I'd try a new cable the correct length.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have a 72 65hp johnson that it seems like the inner throttle cable is to short. I adjusted the trunnion all the way out and it's still about 1/2 inch too short. I've checked the control box for sticking/rubbing and it's still good. I attached a pic for detail.

the cable has 2 bends bigger that 90 degrees and a couple feet under the stern of the boat.

any ideas?

ThanksView attachment 225114

Those type cables are still available and surprisingly not too expensive either. So either buy a replacement, or make sure all the bends and such are not keeping it from fitting. Make sure that the control handle(s) are in their proper position while the engine side is in that same position too. Could be one is slightly off a little. That would make all the difference. My OB uses something very similar. Are you sure you didn't swap the throttle cable with the shifter cable? Easy to do since the look alike. One other possibility is to find some wire the same diameter as the inner wire size and just replace that...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Very common situation. The inner wire breaks at the clamping screws holding the cable end on. So some genius merely reattaches the cable end. That doesn't work----as you can see.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is only one cable on the 1972 model.----Shift is electric.

ducote32

Seaman

Does the motor run okay and does it idle properly ?? If it does, I'd try a new cable the correct length.

Yes. With the cable off it runs great. I just took all the bends out of the cable from where it was routed. No luck. It's been like this since I bought the boot. Wondering if previous owner may have cut the inner cable shorter for some reason?? Its like the inner piano wire is just too short. I might try and replace the throttle cable, but just need to hope there is more exposed wire than what I have.

ducote32

Seaman

Very common situation. The inner wire breaks at the clamping screws holding the cable end on. So some genius merely reattaches the cable end. That doesn't work----as you can see.

That makes a lot of since. I think I'll just go ahead and give a new one a try. Saw one on iboats, I believe the pre 79 400.

ducote32

Seaman

Update.
Changed out the throttle cable with one from iboats. It's still too short, doesn't reach the throttle by 1/2inch with trunnion adjusted all the way out.

Any ideas? Maybe something in the throttle linkage on the outboard?

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Then that sounds like something is either broken or put together wrong in the control box.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the inner cable wire flush with both ends of the cable guides ??