1975 9.9 johnson fuel bulb issue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 9.9 johnson fuel bulb issue.

1975 9.9 johnson . This motor looks really nice for its age it has 100+ on both cylinders and pretty good spark. Any the carb was a mess I cleaned it up really well blew out all the ports real good cleaning. Anyhow the problem is when I pump the bulb from the tank I can't even get half a pump and it hard as a rock. I took the gas line off at the carb and it pumps fuel clean through but the second you put it on the carb it stiff again ???? Any ideas

Re: 1975 9.9 johnson fuel bulb issue.

Inlet blocked,

Needle valve stuck shut ....... clip between needle and float arm not fitted.

Float not dropping

Float incorrectly adjusted , or fitted ???

Or the bowl is already full and you don't realise it.

Comment

float in upside down?
      many men fish for years without ever knowing its not about catching one.

Comment

Take the carb off again. You may have some crap underneath the needle and seat.

Comment

second that. Disassemble the carb again, and soak everything overnight. Remove jets or at least make sure that they get a good soaking and cleaned with a wire. One of the recent suggestions here was to use PineSol for soaking, and that's what I'm going to try for my next carb cleaning -- might give that a try. (And it IS possible to install the float upside down, as in NWCoves post.)

Comment

Took it apart again the bowl was full of gas but it looked nasty. I also took apart the fuel pump pretty rough there to. So I will be ordering a fuel pump and soaking the carb + ordering a new float assembly. Then I'll get back with ya on what happens next. New fuel lines to . Thanks for the help.

Comment

think I would at least switch out the existing gas in the tank -- maybe replace the tank. If you are running with a metal tank, those nasties may be coming from the bottom of the tank. The plastic ones are probably better in that way.

Comment

No metal tank ,gotta have a new fuel pump, carb kit , and float then I'll get back to her.

Comment

Working...
                X