1990 Evinrude 200 hp, VRO removed, fouling plugs

rebranger

Cadet
Am running 5500 rpm @ WOT on 87 octane non-ethanol gas mixed at 50:1 with Pennzoil Ultra, fouled plugs yesterday !!
It has NGK BP6's in it
cold temp maybe 40 degrees, gas may be getting old, been in there all winter,
Think I oughta go to a hotter Champion Plug?
Like an L86C?
Plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at .030
Champion QL77JC4 (see note 3).. 0.030
CHAMPION 828
CHAMPION 828M
CHAMPION QL77J4
CHAMPION QL77JC4 hottest L86C # 306

NGK 3579
NGK BZ7HS-10

advance auto

autolite 2634 cold Champion 821
4093 275 AP425
2656 hottest 4114

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 200 hp, VRO removed, fouling plugs

Fouling all 6 plugs ??----Thermostats installed ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Assuming that you have removed the VRO setup as it should be... try setting the QL77JC4 plugs to the original recommended setting of .040.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My Evinrude 200 doesn't like anything but the Champion QL77JC4 plugs.

Hour upon hours of trolling with water temps in the 30's, air temps significant lower using Pennzoil Premium Plus or Evinrude XD 50. Have yet to foul a plug.

Last edited:

rebranger

Cadet

I would think so, but better check, water pressure on gauge at WOT on plane is kinda low 10 PSI, Peeing good tho. Could be stopped up line, old gauge
what heat range?

rebranger

Cadet

Reckon i oughta go hotter heat range?
thks
ed

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever try QL78YC plugs ??

rebranger

Cadet

no, they're kinda hard to find!
you can use champions crossover chart and come up with some numbers that parts houses (Advance. O'Rielly, NAPA) carry, but most outlets have to order them. CLose as I could come up with in Hsv & Scottsboro where Champion 821's and only 1 or 2 of them. Got some AUtolite 4093's but only 4!!
Guess I'll have to mail order them!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, my local Autozone carries them. Maybe because I am near coast?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

#3 post. Check out the removal and conversion procedure again, and check your work. Should run clean at 50:1 if the fuel supply and carb adjustments are right, although I'm not familiar with the Pennzoil 2-cycle oil being used. If it's TCW3 for marine use, probably good.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Are thermostats installed ??------Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more?---Plugs rarely foul on these motors.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

and probably not a plug issue, if clean and properly gapped (.040, per #3, above). t.stats, spark, fuel supply.....

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

humor me (current obsession): Did that motor have a VRO failure in its history, any that you know of? compression OK?

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor should not foul plugs, even with a 24::1 mixture. You still have original VRO pump, or was that swapped out? A lot of fuel pumps have a diaghram that can get a hole in it, leading to raw fuel in the crankcase and this can foul spark plugs.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

rebranger..... Stick with the recommended Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at either .040 or .030 .

Plugs usually foul either due to excess oil or weak spark... assuming that the compression is somewhere around 100 psi and fairly even on all cylinders.

I'd suggest you check the spark. With all the spark plugs removed and using a spark tester with the gap set to 7/16" for the spark to jump, at cranking speed the spark should be a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? If not, there is a possibilty that the stator is failing (melting down) which would result in a AC voltage drop to the powerpack capacitor.

Another cause of failing ignition/spark would be a slight intermittent short in the ignition switch which would allow voltage to access the black/yellow (kill circuit) of the powerpack.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Voltage To Powerpack Failures
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Systems)
(J. Reeves)

The usual cause of having those type powerpacks fail repeatedly is having a very small of voltage applied to the Black/Yellow wire (Kill Circuit) at the pack. Test as follows.

Disconnect the Black/Yellow wire at the powerpack.

Insert either a ampere meter or a volt meter set to its lowest DC voltage reading between that Black Yellow wire and ground.

With the ignition key in the OFF position, observe the meter reading. Now turn the ignition key to the ON position and again observe the meter reading.

Any reading, movement of the meter needle, even a microvolt, would indicate that battery voltage is being applied to that Black/Yellow wire. If a reading is present, remove the other end of that Black/Yellow from the raised terminal of the ignition switch.

If the reading ceases to exist when the Black/Yellow wire is removed from the ignition switch, replace the switch. If the reading continues to exist, there would be a short of some kind in either the engine or instrument wiring harness.... to determine which, simply unplug the large RED electrical plug at the engine which would eliminate the instrument cable.

Note that the black/yellow wire must not have any other wire attached to it for the following reason!

Keep in mind that any accessory that has 12 volts running to it, especially when turned on, will have voltage flowing thru it and trailering out thru its black ground wire to complete the circuit. If that accessory has it's black ground wire attached to the "M" terminal that the black/yellow wire is attached to.... you will have voltage flowing directly to the powerpack.

rebranger

Cadet

No VRO failure, previous owner had power head rebuilt, think it has a 225 power head, reeds & carbs on it.
Strong compression, 120#'s all cylinders.
Changed out fuel filter, canister type, no water, dirt in it. System has two tanks each side, 1988 Stratos 229, Electric booster pump looks like was added. Runs good off left tank, eventho I put fresh Non-ethanol gas is right tank, it ran about 1/2 out, warning buzzer sounded under WOT at plane, deacclerated, and went to running very rough, missing, etc. Switched tanks & ran fine..
Going to check fuel pressure & lines eventho they look good. Could be the pick up in the right tank, showing 1/3 full, bet there's an air leak or obstruction..

rebranger

Cadet

Had to "order" the Champion plugs, nobody, (Advance, O'Rielly) carrys Champion. Have Autolites tho, but only the coldest heat range!
CHAMPION 828 AUTOLITE EQUIV. 2645 HEAT RANGE B12 SUPRESSOR
CHAMPION 828M
CHAMPION QL77J4
CHAMPION QL77JC4 AUTOLITE EQUIV. 2645 HEAT RANGE B12 SUPRESSOR

hottest L86C # 306 AUTOLITE 2656 NON RESISTOR HEAT RANGE A12

NGK 3579
NGK BZ7HS-10

advance auto

autolite 2634 cold Champion 821 AUTOLITE SITE RECOMMENDS 2645
4092 cold
4093 275 AP425
2656 hottest 4114

EQUIVALENTS ACCORDING TO AUTOLITE WEB SITE
CHAMPION 828
CHAMPION 828M
CHAMPION QL77J4
CHAMPION QL77JC4

NGK 3579
NGK BZ7HS-10

Strong compression, 120#'s all cylinders.

That's interesting, I've always heard that around 90 to 100 or so is all you get on that engine. It has idle relief ports which bleed off compression at cranking speeds, therefore they always test a bit lower. UNLESS someone has plugged the idle reliefs.

Had to "order" the Champion plugs, nobody, (Advance, O'Rielly) carrys Champion. Have Autolites tho, but only the coldest heat range!

I've always been able to get Champion marine plugs from Rock Auto, and at a good price.

Also, I see where a couple people have asked about thermostats but I never saw an answer. AND it would be a good idea to measure the head temperatures. They're supposed to run about 140 at idle and 125 at speed.

rebranger

Cadet

Right tank drained, actually had to pump it out thru the gauge hole. Gas looked good untill I got to the very bottom, appeared to be water. Added rubbing acohol & Heet. Pumped remainder out. Bet it was water, letting settle in container, will know tomorrow. No obstructions, dirt or air leaks tho..Right tank hadn't been used for a while. They hold 24 gallons!