2000 evinrude 40 4stroke not pumping water properly

davostessco

Recruit
I have just rebuild this 40hp 4stroke and its running sweet apart from its not pumping water properly all the time so its got a new water pump impeller and kit through it .
so I take the thermostat out and start it with water connected and if its cold it sometimes will come up through the head and start pumping properly then it will just stop pumping and the engine gets hot.
any ideas what this could be ive heard the water pressure relief valve can be a problem , is there anything else I can try before I go pulling the power head back off again :( ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 2000 evinrude 40 4stroke not pumping water properly

Are you using muffs or are you submerging it in water in a tank at least 5inches or so above the anticavitation plate?

davostessco

Recruit
Re: 2000 evinrude 40 4stroke not pumping water properly

I was using muffs but not getting much pickup so then I filled up an esky and it seemed to pick up better why do you ask that do they all not pump water very strong?
I think ive found the problem the casting below the water pump housing is all corroded out which is replaceable and I put the hose straight on the water pump tube without the leg on and it pumped water straight away