No power to Tilt Trim/1978 Evinrude 115

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Using fresh good battery from truck. Engine and tilt trim motor on boat worked fine when I bought it 2 years ago. Tried just checking the tilt trim motor but nothing. Where should I start to make sure I have a good connection between the battery and the tilt trim motor. New to boats so I am just not sure where to start. Want to check the tilt trim motor first and then go from there to the engine.

Thanks

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No power to Tilt Trim/1978 Evinrude 115

Reading about the relay box between the battery and tilt motor, think I will start there.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice

Won't get to work on it till this weekend but was hoping for some input. I am clueless when it comes to these things.

rdixon

Recruit

did you ever figure this out . I am having the same issue .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The remote power trim solenoid box has it's own 20 amp fuse in it. Same as the one on the engine. Check the fuse and the fuse holder. These holders can get really rusty with age and may not transfer current.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Will check the fuse holder, not sure if it is a 2 or 3 wire system. Will do more research and check.

flb561

Seaman
just fixed the trim and *** on an 89 johnson, completely ripped it apart to find the problem, works now. Can u explain your system? 2/3 wires? start by checking the switches, u can disconnect them and jump wires togethor. also, check to see if you have 12v at the box. you should have a green, blue, red...red is 12v...blue should be up, green down. good luckk! also check the two relays in the box, mines on the back of the motor. the will click when they are powered up by switch..... if u cant move the motor up or down a possibility is a bad motor, so check to see if it has power and ground, use volt meter, to eliminate a bad motor. the best place to start would be checking for a good motor, shoul be a wire disconnect on the motor before the leave the outboard, trace them from the trim tilt unit. hope this helps

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is a couple pics of my relay box, not sure if you can tell what type of system by just the relay box.