Removing clamp screws from a 1997 J55RSLC motor

Platypus E65

Seaman
I've got a Johnson 1997 J55RSLC that needs new clamp screws, swivel plates and handles but, I can't figure out how to remove the screws. Is there a trick that I am missing?
Also, I was looking at a parts microfiche schematic breakdown for the parts I need to order and it shows that only one is required for a clamp screw assembly. Does that mean there are two sets of clamp screw assemblies or do I need to order 2 assemblies for my outboard motor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing clamp screws from a 1997 J55RSLC motor

There should be a bolt underneath the swivel holding it to the screw clamp. Check shop.evinrude.com for a good parts break down.

Platypus E65

Seaman

There should be a bolt underneath the swivel holding it to the screw clamp. Check shop.evinrude.com for a good parts break down.

Are you referring to the bolt holding the swivel plate to the screw? If so, they are missing on one of the screws. I have tried backing out the screw but it can't back out any farther than when the end hits the bracket.
shop.evinrude.com shows Qty Req'd as 1 for the clamp screw, handle assembly. So I'm going to guess that there are two assemblies included if I order just one assembly.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Inspect the end of the screw very good. There must be something stopping it from backing out. Use PB plaster and work them - make sure turning freely and keep trying to bring out. If they haven't been serviced regularly (greased) I have seen them lock up and have to be cut. Also, I think shop 2 evinrude is meaning 1 is required for 1 stern bracket as they are listed port and starboard.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have to, cut the screw off and then turn it out.