1985 40HP Evinrude Primer solenoid question

theshaka

Recruit
Hey all,

Okay here is my issue. Had a 1985 Evinrude 40 HP outboard on mckee craft running fine.

Sat for 2 months while refurbing lower unit, and then would not start and idle after sitting.

But would run high RPMS if you sprayed fuel directly in air intake... Guessed dirty carbs, and started looking at primer solenoid since red lever had a small leak. (But has had leak all along)

Went through the carbs personally, then had them dipped and rebuilt by a local mechanic.

Runs a little but dies with no idle.

Broke little nipple of solenoid ( happens a lot I hear) So purchased new cap and red lever skrew.

Solenoid has a crack at base of casing that I sealed, but clicks when 12v is applied and seems to work just fine with NO LEAKS.

Ran this evening still won't idle with lever facing inline, runs crappy with lever facing counter clockwise.

All fuel lines are new, spark new, compression 120 on both cylinders. new battery and cables.

The question I have is does the primer solenoid play a constant role in the carburetor fuel injection while idle/running? Just gives a squirt at key push correct? Would it keep the motor from idling if it had a air leak or not working correctly?

Thanks for any advice, about to buy a used one on ebay if have to....$220 is a lot for such a part.

The

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 40HP Evinrude Primer solenoid question

220 is too much, you could buy a whole parts motor for that. check your fuel lines, and your fuel pump. when you pump your primer bulb does it stay hard or does it go soft. Or will pumping your primer bulb keep your motor runnin. If it does id suspect fuel pump dirty filter or a clog somewhere, gas tank vented?. also, was your carb dirty at all??? good luck.

theshaka

Recruit

220 is too much, you could buy a whole parts motor for that. check your fuel lines, and your fuel pump. when you pump your primer bulb does it stay hard or does it go soft. Or will pumping your primer bulb keep your motor runnin. If it does id suspect fuel pump dirty filter or a clog somewhere, gas tank vented?. also, was your carb dirty at all??? good luck.

I Have replaced gas tank inlet fitting and bulb, and have all new lines to filter and pump. The bulb stays pretty hard and pressure at the carbs is powerful. Fuel will squirt out quickly where the 2 fuel lines inject into the bowls at the carbs if moved slightly.

James R

Commander

If it is a fuel problem try spraying a 50:1 mix into the carb intake when it falters. If it picks up I would strip the carbs again being sure to poke the tiny holes and jets clean. A good soaking in Gunk Carb and parts cleaner per instructions on the can will help followed by carb cleaner through the holes and jets.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the high speed jets in the carb float bowls are clean as they feed all the circuits in the carb.

theshaka

Recruit

I had the carbs dipped and gone through with mechanic. I did tinker with motor the other day, and it will run kinda decent with fuel primer solenoid red lever 90 degrees away from inline, but start to die when switch back. I can play with throttle at carbs and keep it going.

Question, I took off the small hoses from solenoid primer while running and they were just pumping fuel constantly. Is the primer just there to give a shot of fuel when key is pushed in? Or is it supposed to flow along with the main carb fuel hoses to bowls?

I think the primer is broken and flooding the engine, which is why it bogs down when red lever is switched back.

I tried capping the carb inlets from the primer to bypass the primer all together, yet it would not fire at all. So it has to have the primer solenoid to run period, but not flood the engine?

Seems to make some sense..

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If fuel is coming out of the primer lines when the choke isnt being pushed then its broken.
It might not run when you capped it as it needs it to start up as a choke.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

you could cap them and use a piece of cardboard over the carbs to partially close them to act as a temporary choke to check that the primer was causing the bogging

James R

Commander

If you think the primer is the problem you can put a clamp on the fuel line that feeds it after you have fired the motor up. I use a very small pair of vice grips for these applications. Auto mechanics use pliers when checking vacuum lines. Same thing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Here is how the primer works !----It has 2 modes one electric and one is manual , in case of a dead battery.------In the electric mode ( key pushed in ) it is best described as an " electric spray bottle " and it squirts fuel into the intake manifold when pressure is on the fuel.--------It gets this pressure from the bulb in the hose or the motor fuel pump when cranking.---------In the manual mode this valve is open and squirts fuel in when you operate the bulb on the hose.-------------So if the motor is running the red lever must be in line ( with valve body ) or the motor will just get raw fuel sprayed in and will not run smoothly , but it will run.---------If it is running and stops when you move it to the electric mode that very clearly indicates that there is blockage in your carburetors.--------There is nothing wrong with the primer !