Evinrude 1963 Steering and Remote Control cable questions

oppaak

Cadet
Hello, This my first attempt to post on the forum and I hope I am posting this the correct forum. Is it possible to change out the throttle and shift cables on an old Johnson side mounted 2 lever control with shorter length cables? The control box and side mounted stick steering (older teleflex) units have 13 ft. cables. The dealer said they came off a 14 ft. aluminum Jon boat. I laid them out on my "TRACKER Topper 12 ft." al. Jon boat and they were over 2 ft. to long. My question, is can 10' or 11' cables be purchased as an assembly (box and motor connecting hardware for both) at a resonable price and connected to stick and throttle-shift boxes. If I have posted in the wrong forum I apologize and request the moderator to move the post or direct me to the correct forum to repost. Thanks for all help and input. oppaak

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1963 Steering and Remote Control cable questions

Just have the dealer shorten them for you.

oppaak

Cadet

Hi Chris, Thanks for the reply. I asked my dealer about shortning the cables but declined. I guess he was afraid of trying to shorten them and messing something up or there are lot more 14' Jon boats they will work on without modification.

Either way, I don't blame him. I would probably feel/do the same if they were mine. He said he would be on the lookout for some off any old boats he buys/trades for.

I have looked on the web for the RC and Stick steering and found a few but none that I felt good about fitting on my boat.

Thanks again for your help.

oppaak

boobie

Supreme Mariner

High Trim, maybe I missed something, but how is a dealer going to shorten the existing cables ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The shift and throttle cables are not very expensive and are available here at iboats. No problem. Now the stick steer may be another story.

Yeah, High Trim, I'm wondering the same thing. You got a secret way of shortening cables?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As I sit here pondering my post from last night I cannot answer your questions, lol. Please disregard oppaak!

Possibly meant to say dealer to order correct length cables? Who knows, 7 30 pm is getting too late for me apparently.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Probably pretty dark up there at 7:30 PM at this time of year, right? And cold? Sounds like time to snuggle down in bed.

oppaak

Cadet

Hello HighTrim,

Good morning from down South. Thanks for your reply and help. No problem on the dealer shortening the old cables. He really dosen't like to work on stuff this old but helps me out anyway. He said he could order the cables for me but I would not like the price. lol! Being retired and living on a fixed income is getting tougher these days.

I looked at the 2 lever Uflex control box on the site and tried to find the throttle and shift cable with connecting hardware. I'm not well educated yet on just exactly what it will take to get an RC system setup on my boat right now.

Thanks again for yours and everyone else on the forums help.

oppaak