What does this hook up into??

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice
New to the outboards here. I got this motor (1965 Evinrude bigtwin 40hp) and it was set up for controls as is kinda deal. I have done some work to lower unit and before i get to far into this project i wanted to know what this (White plastic plug) hooks up too. I will need to get what ever this plugs into to be able to get power to starter and choke i guess. I do not have the operators manual either. I just want to figure out what i need so i have some time to get what i need. Or if there is a way to start is as is please let me know. Thanks in advance
P.s.s. i never had a motor that was set up for controls...

Attachments

• IMG_20131103_240845_836.jpg
    IMG_20131103_240845_836.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20131102_235555_171.jpg
    IMG_20131102_235555_171.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: What does this hook up into??

You are missing a few items.

Attachments

• 21. Junction Box.jpg
    21. Junction Box.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 0

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

So i now see that i need to get the junction box, - right- ??
Is there anyway that i could possibly get the motor to start with out the junction box??

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

Could anyone tell me little more about this junction box and do i have to get the specific brand of junction box set up??
Please let me know for i have never had a motor like this one - set up for controls-. Looks like i will need to rethink into switching from controls to tiller. Can this still be done??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to go to the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for salvage yards. Or else try E-bay for a complete wiring harness. You need one specific for your motor.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You don't necessarily NEED the solenoid box, just a safe way to keep it clean and dry. You could make your own?? You could also make your own wiring harness. I do it for all the motors I do. The 50 year old wiring is getting harder to find in good condition anyways.

Posting a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize is probably your cheapest option. Is the boat already wired from the helm to the aft of the boat?

Of course it can be started without all the wiring. Old fashioned pull start, or jump the starter from a battery.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ill find a better wiring diagram, this one is not very good, but all I have on this computer.40%20hp%20wiring.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

years ago I was desperate for a tiller motor just for a summer of light use to replace my stolen 50 Merc.
I bought my mothers old 65, 40 hp Evinrude I rigged a piece of conduit for the tiller,her old throttle
and rigged a little cushioned pad in the pan for the solenoid.under the cover.
Worked fine for the summer.I think a person could find a spot to bolt it to the pan.
It was amazing how much more gas that old 40 used than my 77 50 Merc that got swiped.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Would save a lot of wiring wouldn't it steelspike.

Mounting the solenoid, and a simple push button start in the lower pan would save you a lot of work and wiring.