trim pump HELP

jamessmith1981

Recruit
i have a 1974 evinrude starflite 115 hp with trim and the pump is missing out of the reservoir . all that was there as three wires going into the top. please help i have looked at hundreds of pumps on ebay but i dont know which pump goes in the reservoir. i have included pics of it and a pic of what im guessing is part numberIMAG2767.jpgIMAG2768.jpg

Last edited:

RRitt

Captain
Re: trim pump HELP

it looks like you have the calco pump assembly. The one in pictures looks complete. the pump is round and recessed into bottom of reservoir. it is the part that rubber hose is attached to. When the calco pump and/or motor fail to operate then it is often best to replace the entire pump+motor with one made by prestolite. Prestolite version is interchangeable with calco. Prestolite was used on a lot more engines (including IO) and even after 40 years is still maintainable.

Prestolite trim motors are still in production
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#q=evinrude+172850&tbm=shop

Prestolite valve bodies are still rebuildable
Flat Rate Rebuild Evinrude Johnson OMC Trim Tilt Pump Valve Body 1974 1989 | eBay

jamessmith1981

Recruit

On the prestolite pump it looks like ill have to get a new valve body because the one on my pump is different. I really would like to put a new motor in mine . But if you think its better to change out the whole pump/motor assembly.thank you for your help

RRitt

Captain

if you hunt around you can find used prestolite OMC stringer pumps for under $100. Stringer pumps are water resistant instead of waterproof because they are meant for inside transom.

use plastic sealant to make the stringer trim motor waterproof(ish) and run until motor dies.

run valve body until engine drifts down and then get it rebuilt.

The rams typically last 25-35 years. The trim rams are not fully predictable as the trim sensor will often leak and cause pre-mature failures. Nonetheless, in general the rams never actually break. They just start leaking and the water can cause rust which can ruin the entire (very expensive) system. With ram rebuild kits only $30ish it is not worth risk. As soon as oil starts leaking out top of ram - rebuild them.

Last edited: