85 15hp evinrude over heating

Joshuadean

Recruit
Okay I understand the water cooling system on my 1985 evinrude, water goes up to my water pump then threw my motor and out my telltale.. But what I'm not understanding is that I see water coming out of the telltale yet I can't run my outboard longer than 10 minutes without it getting very hot and smoking out the cap, I know not to run it hot. I've been stranded on the river and had to get game wardens to save me, i could use another mind in figuring this problem out. Any help is much appreciated

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 15hp evinrude over heating

Upper water grommet.

Once water reaches the block, the tell tale is one of the first places it goes. The upper water grommet is notorious for dry rotting and swelling, which either partially blocks the water tube or blocks it completely.

My 86 9.9 had the exact same problem. Ran really hot and had steam coming out of the exhaust relief. Water would come out of the tell tale but it was weak and inconsistent. To fix it you have to pull the power head out of the midsection, remove the exhaust tube, and replace the grommet.

I'll look in my notes tomorrow in the garage and let you know what gaskets I needed and a quick rundown of the steps involved.

In the meantime check out this site, made by one of our members here (the machinist), about the cooling system on the 9.9/15 HP engines.

74 on water problems

Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant

while you are planing to fix this problem my recomendation is to change gaskets( 2 gaskets) where pee elbow comes out,
change termostat for sure

Joshuadean

Recruit

Thank you jrs diesel, i dropped my foot earlier and the shaft seal on the top of my water pump was unsealed and riding about 5 inches up on my shaft. The flow rate of water coming from my telltale is poor but never really "spits and sputters" it just seems like it's not enough water. By the time my motor gets really hot, there's usually steam rolling out though. Pls check and get back with me thanks!

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I needed a base gasket, head gasket, water cover gasket, thermostat, thermostat gasket, and the upper water grommet (there are two, inlet and outlet). You may need a new spring for the thermostat. If you mainly boat in fresh water, the spring will likely still be good, if you do salt water I would buy a new spring.

Take good notes and pictures (if you have a digital camera) as you go and before you start, it will come in handy for reassembly.

Reference this site too: Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase Leroy give detailed info on how to pull the powerhead. Especially if the base gasket is stuck.

Remove the lower unit.

To pull the engine, remove the mixture needle from the carb, makes pulling the air silencer easier. Remove the choke knob, and air silencer. Pull some rope out of the starter (about a foot) and use small vise grips or tie a figure 8 in the rope. Remove the starter bolt and pull the starter. Hold the starter together and either tape it together good with electrical tape or use an appropriate size nut to hold it together, I think it's a 5/8 nut.

Remove the fuel pump, and pull the fuel line from the carb. Remove the throttle linkage and disconnect any wiring in the way. Remove the power pack, and the ignition coils. Disconnect the tell tale from the lower cowl connection.

Now you should have everything out of the way to pull the engine. There are 7 bolts underneath the lower cowl. Remove those, will be difficult if they've been exposed to salt water. One will remain in place, because the tiller mount prevents its removal.

To remove my powerhead, I used a thin metal scraper blade to separate the base gasket as much as I could. I then took the whole motor out to my yard, held it a few inches upside down by the lower cowl, and shook it loose from the midsection. Once it's out, remove the exhaust pipe and the grommets are right there.

I also pulled my cylinder head off, and took the water plate off too. I used a dremel to clean out the entire water jacket (mine was a salt water motor before I got it). Replace the thermostat while it's open too, really easy to do while the engine is off the midsection.

Replace the grommets, gaskets, and thermostat. I used Evinrude triple guard grease on all bolt except the cylinder head bolt threads (needs proper torque). I greased the smooth shank/unthreaded part of the cylinder head bolts, thats the part that tends to corrode and get stuck. Take the opportunity to clean out the lower cowl and other inaccessible areas on the motor. Reassemble the engine.

When you water test the engine, do it in a barrel. You want to make sure that the water pump is able to do it's job and keep the engine cool. Ear muffs are great for flushing and test running, but not for diagnosing cooling problems.

Joshuadean

Recruit

I needed a base gasket, head gasket, water cover gasket, thermostat, thermostat gasket, and the upper water grommet (there are two, inlet and outlet). You may need a new spring for the thermostat. If you mainly boat in fresh water, the spring will likely still be good, if you do salt water I would buy a new spring.

Take good notes and pictures (if you have a digital camera) as you go and before you start, it will come in handy for reassembly.

Reference this site too: Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase Leroy give detailed info on how to pull the powerhead. Especially if the base gasket is stuck.

Remove the lower unit.

To pull the engine, remove the mixture needle from the carb, makes pulling the air silencer easier. Remove the choke knob, and air silencer. Pull some rope out of the starter (about a foot) and use small vise grips or tie a figure 8 in the rope. Remove the starter bolt and pull the starter. Hold the starter together and either tape it together good with electrical tape or use an appropriate size nut to hold it together, I think it's a 5/8 nut.

Remove the fuel pump, and pull the fuel line from the carb. Remove the throttle linkage and disconnect any wiring in the way. Remove the power pack, and the ignition coils. Disconnect the tell tale from the lower cowl connection.

Now you should have everything out of the way to pull the engine. There are 7 bolts underneath the lower cowl. Remove those, will be difficult if they've been exposed to salt water. One will remain in place, because the tiller mount prevents its removal.

To remove my powerhead, I used a thin metal scraper blade to separate the base gasket as much as I could. I then took the whole motor out to my yard, held it a few inches upside down by the lower cowl, and shook it loose from the midsection. Once it's out, remove the exhaust pipe and the grommets are right there.

I also pulled my cylinder head off, and took the water plate off too. I used a dremel to clean out the entire water jacket (mine was a salt water motor before I got it). Replace the thermostat while it's open too, really easy to do while the engine is off the midsection.

Replace the grommets, gaskets, and thermostat. I used Evinrude triple guard grease on all bolt except the cylinder head bolt threads (needs proper torque). I greased the smooth shank/unthreaded part of the cylinder head bolts, thats the part that tends to corrode and get stuck. Take the opportunity to clean out the lower cowl and other inaccessible areas on the motor. Reassemble the engine.

When you water test the engine, do it in a barrel. You want to make sure that the water pump is able to do it's job and keep the engine cool. Ear muffs are great for flushing and test running, but not for diagnosing cooling problems.

I ordered all my gaskets today so as soon as they arrive I'll begin my tear down. Thanks for all the tips and info. I hope once I'm done with this she'll be running strong again!

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

You're welcome :)

Couple other things to clarify. When you pull the rope out of the starter, use the small vise grips on the rope where it goes into the spool. That way the starter can just hang over the side of the engine and you don't have to mess with the spring or having to rewind it.

You'll have to disconnect the shifter linkage too. There should be a small cotter pin at the shift pivot. Pull that, and then pop the shift shaft out of the pivot.