Evinrude Intruder 150 coughs now and then

drivin-fool

Recruit
Hi all. My brother has a 1997 Evinrude Intruder 150 V-6 which has some sort of issue going on, and I hope maybe someone here can help us track it down. The motor cranks up fine, and every now and then at idle it will hiccup. When out in open waters it will run fine, then it seems like it coughs. When this occurs, it is usually only for a second or two, but on occasion it has continued. This only happens every now and then. He has had it to two different mechanics locally who cannot seem to get the motor to act up. The entire electrical system has been looked at, and none of the wires seem to be broken or damaged.

For what it is worth there is a white milky looking fluid on the port side exhaust port. The motor has good compression, and all of the carbs were checked and everything seemed to be in order. Thank you in advance for any guidance or suggestions you may have.

rndn

Commander
Re: Evinrude Intruder 150 coughs now and then

To me, although not a repair technician, when you have a milky substance coming out of the exhaust, it is mixing water and oil. You have done a compression test, but did you do a leak down test?

Freddie Jr.

Recruit

To me, although not a repair technician, when you have a milky substance coming out of the exhaust, it is mixing water and oil. You have done a compression test, but did you do a leak down test?

I am the owner of the motor in question. I am not sure what a leak down test is. My brother started this thread for me last nite. Compression has been checked three times as well as fuel and oil pressure checks. It is oil injected. Have been told that it is jumping in and out of gear. That would not explain it cutting off when running in neutral. It has shut down once before under a load at 3000 rpm. It has shut down in neutral running at a fast idle.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you have a base gasket that's on it's way out. that's the gasket under the power head, it's the only place water and exhaust meet other then buy the water pump. If you let it go to long you will start to get over heats at 4000 rpm and above or worse you could stick the port side pistons. Pull the power head.