1975 Evinrude 135hp. Portable Fuel Tank Primer Bulb Collapses at High RPM's

mikeymo27

Cadet
Hi all!

It does so while under load and full throttle. I am able to troll at low speeds but once I ask for more, the bulb eventually collapses.

It is a new EPA approved West Marine 6 gallon tank. I purchased a new old style venting fuel cap with the screw to relieve pressure. Even when I remove the cap COMPLETELY, the bulb still collapses.

There is no restriction in the brand new hose assembly as well. I took off both fittings, pumped the bulb and it blew air out both ends. I was also able to pump gas out of the tank using the primer and no fitting on the outlet. It pumped gas.

One thing I have to mention was that the guy at my local marine supply store said I bought the hose assembly for a Mercury, and not for an Evinrude/Johnson. I had to replace the fuel connector going into the Motor because it would not seat properly and kept popping off. I then took the connector off the hose coming from the internal tank, which I don't use, and it fit securely.

I am lost. Please help me out. I just want to fish!

Thanks!
Mike

mikeymo27

Cadet
Re: 1975 Evinrude 135hp. Portable Fuel Tank Primer Bulb Collapses at High RPM's

And yes, the arrow is pointing the right direction into the motor.

kbait

Commander

Pull the connector on motor side of hose and siphon to a tank lower than the one your using. If fuel flows well w/just gravity feed, I don't see any reason your fuel pump can't 'pull' the fuel out, since that's just what the siphon is doing. Perhaps there's some debris in your tank that intermittently covers the pickup screen?

Good luck!

mikeymo27

Cadet

Thanks! Will try! FYI, love the Vikings quote haha

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are ball valves in the primer bulb on the new hose you just purchased. Sometimes they don't work properly. For instance, make sure the primer bulb is oriented with the arrow on the bulb facing generally skyward. If the bulb lays in the splashwell of the boat and it's oriented downhill, the valves can close-causing the problems you note. Is this a new Bombardier gas line? What diameter is it?

mikeymo27

Cadet

Thanks so much for that info! I will check that out and report back. I hope you're right. I appreciate your time. Not sure the hose diameter and type off hand but will let you know.