How to repair a shaft with a groove . How to sleeve a worn shaft.

62Ford

Cadet
Here is how to repair a shaft with a groove cut in it by the seal.

See pictures...... I could not get them into proper order so view #4 first.

IMPORTANT NOTES: If you are sleeving an area above the water pump impeller, the lower bearing and gasket (if one), the pump bottom plate, impeller and pump housing and gasket must be on the shaft before the sleeve is installed as the impeller bushing is too tight to go over the seal. It is best to do a physical fit up prior to installing the sleeve to ensure you get it right. The seals will go over the sleeve but be carefull and lubricate the seals well or the seal inner spring may shift which will require you to hold the spring in place with a finger and use a screwdriver to place the spring back into the proper position.

Measure the shaft with a micrometer in three places around the same area and determine an average diameter.

Go to your marina or local bearing supply company, the auto parts place or on line to buy a sleeve that has a range where the measurement you took is in the middle.

For example, I had an average of 0.750 and found a SKF Speedi-Sleeve that is designed for a shaft between .748 and .752 The length of this sleeve is 1/3 inch. The one I used is a SKF 99076. You can order odd sizes but they are expensive.

Read the instructions which warn against using heat and tells you to use a non hardeningt gasket compound in the groove as a filler. I use a little vasaline just in front of the seal to lubricate the shaft, it does not take much. In the past I have frozen shafts to shrink them and heated sleeves in an oven to expand them but it is best to get the proper size.

The sleeve comes with a driver and the driver fits against the bottom flange of the seal to drive it on. You are going to need a hardwood board with a hole drilled through it or a pipe. I used the board to drive the driver which drives the sleeve.

Be sure to mark the stopping point for the seal, I used tape. Be very careful not to mushroom the shaft ends, use soft wood on the ends.

After the seal is in place, you will need to remove the bottom flange. Note it has a pre-cut groove but you have to cut the flat part to get a pull point to peel it off. I use a file to cut a v notch then a sharp chisel. Be careful not to move the sleeve. Good luck.

DSC03893.JPGDSC03896.JPGDSC03897.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03892.JPG
    DSC03892.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to repair a shaft with a groove . How to sleeve a worn shaft.

Thanks for the good info.

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How I can put new impeller next time? Remove sleeve?

62Ford

Cadet

How I can put new impeller next time? Remove sleeve?

I was going to address this but was very short on time.

The best thing to do is: BEFORE you install the sleeve and impeller, hone the impeller center hole to fit over the sleeve. Use a brake cyclinder hone from the auto parts store. This will save a sleeve that can be more expensive than the impeller. You can use a drill press to hone. Drill a larger than shaft size hole in a 2x4 wood. Clamp the impeller on the 2X4 and clamp that to a drill press.

To remove the sleeve, cut a notch in a board and use it to drive the impeller and sleeve off. Normally, to remove a sleeve, you can use a dremel tool to cut a very light groove in the sleeve and use a flat screwdriver to break the groove open.

Good luck.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find it easier to build up the grooved area with weld then turn it on my lathe to spec. No need to modify anything.

62Ford

Cadet

I find it easier to build up the grooved area with weld then turn it on my lathe to spec. No need to modify anything.

I have brazed up shafts and cut them down on a lathe but do not have access to a lathe. You must be a much better welder than I to be able to weld a soft shaft successfully. What weld gases and wire do you use? After welding, when cutting on the lathe, the welded area will be very hard, what bit material do you use?