Replacing water pump impeller on 1975 Evinrude 25 - Manual says oil impeller??

vidsdinerie

Cadet
I have a 1975 Evinrude 25 I am replacing the impeller and pin. I have a factory service manual and the instructions state to oil the impeller and slide down driveshaft. Can someone familiar with this engine let me know what oil to use and where to apply the oil to the impeller. I assume it means just to add some oil to the ID of the impeller but I want to make sure before I put it all back together.

Also what grease is ok to use on the upper spline of the driveshaft above the oring to the crankshaft.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing water pump impeller on 1975 Evinrude 25 - Manual says oil impeller??

A thin film of marine grease will do & some grease in the key way too i also apply dish washing liqiud to the implore fins it slides in easy to the housing

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Replacing water pump impeller on 1975 Evinrude 25 - Manual says oil impeller??

factory manual means oil the inner part that will touch the shaft when sliding down towards the housing..

like durban says though ,put a drop of fairy liquid/washing up liquid on the rubber so when it first starts up it
dont burn the crap out of the impeller and will also aid in getting it in its housing.
do not put oil on any rubber parts, because oil dont do rubber any favours at all.

phill

vidsdinerie

Cadet

Thanks - will add dish soap when I get it put together.

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

The last impeller I replaced I used regular wheel bearing grease. Seemed to do the trick.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Dont put any grease on the very top of the driveshaft, only a light coating on the splines,
Replace that o-ring if you can as it will also assist stopping the driveshaft seizing in the lower crank.
There have being some interesting reads from people who have had that happen to them and its not good times on their part.