1974 40hp johnson not pumping water

softladuk

Cadet
Hi
i have just fitted a new water pump kit to my 74r74s 40hp johnson. Fired it up and it dosn't pump water. I was told under the power head in the cooling veins could be blocked so took it off and it looks fine.
Put it back together and now it wont even fire let alone start. Any suggestions ?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 40hp johnson not pumping water

neutral start switch, loose/dirty ground connection, one way to see if water is circulating is with your lu off you could pressure water up the pick up tube to see if everything is clear, another option would be to blow air through your thermostat housing. i believe some people have mentioned that you won't really see wather exiting the exhaust kinda like a mist. good luck

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

I'm having the same problem with my johnson 6hp, i installed a new water pump and now it won't start back up.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey hijacker, for referance the water pump has nothing to do with your engine running or not, pure coincedence.

softladuk

Cadet

Its a pull start so theres not much in the way of wiring. It was running until i wipped the power head off. Now nothing. As for the water pump im baffled. Its installed correctly and there seems to be no obvious blockage.