How to loosen a galled transon screw clamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to loosen a galled transon screw clamp

Hello, I am looking for some help to remove a galled transom screw clamp on a 75 Johnson 6 hp I recently purchased. I don't want to force it to much were it is all cast aluminum.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank You Yellowjet

Re: How to loosen a galled transon screw clamp

Get a Mapp Gas torch and try some heat on it working it back and forth. Heat the area around the screw, not the screw.

Comment

I have found that if you heat them & then let it cool down, then repeat this process over say a week or so helps, I also drill a small hole thru the metal around the clamp on the bottom, I then flip the motor on its head so the hole is facing up. spray lube into the hole let set for a day then repeat, heat- cool down -lube

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.I am going to give them a try.It looks like I am going to be looking for another screw clamp.If anybody has 1 for sale please drop me a line Again Thank you Yellowjet

Comment

Thanks for the advise. A little heat and some liquid wrench and vise grips did the trick, saved me a headache. Great site Thank you very much.Yellowjet

Comment

Glad to hear your up-date. and even better to hear successful outcome!

Comment

Working...
            X