1977 Johnson 55 Powerhead Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 Johnson 55 Powerhead Removal

Having trouble removing the powerhead on a 1977 55 HP Johnson It appears I have gotten all of the necessary bolts removed. I was able to get the powerhead to lift up about a 1/2", maybe a bit more from from the midsection, but I can't seem to get it completely apart. Am I missing something here?

Re: 1977 Johnson 55 Powerhead Removal

Did you disconnect the shift linkage under the lower carb ??

Comment

yes I did, I already removed the lower unit completely. seems strange that I was able to get as much space as I have between the powerhead and midsection without it coming completely apart. I can't see anything that seems to be holding it up

Comment

Try driving a couple of wooden wedges in the gap once and see what happens. Also shake the heck out of it.

Comment

You got the one studded nut from the rear, under the cylinder head?
          [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?id=9974593&d=1435747884&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

If he hasn't got that nut removed, how did he get it raised up from the exhaust housing 1/2 " ??

Comment

I came across one once on a triple that had the casting busted around the nut due to trying to force it off... Stud was bent, too.
              [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?id=9974593&d=1435747884&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

Got it. It was the one nut under the cylinder head. I head been separating from between the spacer plate and midsection rather than from between the block and spacer plate. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X