1966 33hp johnson, electric start, No generator, wiring diagram needed

MadTom

Seaman
Re: 1966 33hp johnson, electric start, No generator, wiring diagram needed

NEW problem - I have debris in the cylinder - had a good 20 minute ride, then it stalled, couldn't get it started again. Checked the plugs and there was a piece of something (metal? carbon?) stuck between the bent electrode and the plug itself. The plugs are the correct plugs and installed correctly. The piece of debris is not from the current plugs or the old plugs that I replaced.
Do I first check compression before wasting anymore time, or do I remove the cylinder head and have a look?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You absolutely must find out where that metal came from before the motor experiences catastrophic internal failure...if it hasn't already. Could be most anything, but broken bearings or piston ring locating pins are common.

MadTom

Seaman

Thank F_R..... do I bother with the compression test?... I'm not an experienced mechanic, so I mention the compression test because if that test indicates cylinder damage, I'm assuming the motor is toast beyond anything I can repair.

If the compression test indicates no damage, what's the recommended course of action I should follow?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's a hard question to answer. We don't know if it was just that little piece, or if there are more to come, or even what it was. For sure, you don't want to start it before at least doing a comp test. If it passes the test and you run it and it barfs, well that is the chance you are taking. If any doubt, I recommend at least pulling the head and intake port (bypass) cover for a quick looksee. I'd do the bypass cover first because it is easiest & cheapest.

EDIT: In a typical situation like this, you will find little peck marks all over the inside of the cylinder head where pieces have been chewed up in there. That is a sure sign of disaster. A complete tear-down and examination is next.