Fuel leaks when priming tank (pressurized tank)

boulder91

Recruit
I have a 1956 30 HP johnson javelin. I was out on the lake the other day and was running along and it just died. No bangs or booms just stopped. It didn't even sputter it just acted like it ran out of fuel. There was fuel coming out of the bottom of the intake after I came to a stop. Also when i disconnected the tank, fuel was coming out of the connector on the engine. Hopefully that sounds familiar to someone.

Today I was trying to get this fixed and when I pump the primer button on the top of the pressure tank it starts leaking out of the same spot.

I tried searching for other threads but didnt come up with anything.

To me it sounds like the check valve in the intake is broken or stuck, but I am by no means on expert on outboard motors.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel leaks when priming tank (pressurized tank)

It is leaking at the connector? The o rings are shot. Simple enough fix. Wait until you see the price for them though! If you need help with changing them let us know.

Now there could be excess pressure there due to a faulty float, stuck needle, or something like that. Regardless, change the o rings, then we can determine if the carb bowl is filling or not, and if fuel is getting to the cylinders.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

By the way, the advice will cost you a picture, ;)

I love the Javelins. I have many 57s, but only 1 56 left. Used to have more.

Does yours still have the chrome front door?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

i have a 1957 Johnson javelin 35 hp, I just had similar problem earlier this week, I determained that the float was sticking open, I found out the cork float expanded and was rubbing on bowl walls, making the needle stick open, making gas pour out from carb area, I just shaved cork float smaller and just tested yesterday, didn't flood out anymore****** check this by removing bowl slowly and putting bowl back on and looking and feeling for float rubbing,

boulder91

Recruit

I will send you a picture once i get one for myself. I actually just picked up this boat a few weeks ago. I stumbled across it on the side of the road when I was driving home the other day and I have been busy working on it.

riverrat 2

Cadet

Hi boulder 91; I had the same problem this spring. The Fleet Admiral told me the same thing. I replaced the two rubber o-rings [$2.20]
Problem solved. Listen to the older guys here on the forum. "They now their ****.

nwcove

Admiral

Hi boulder 91; I had the same problem this spring. The Fleet Admiral told me the same thing. I replaced the two rubber o-rings [$2.20]
Problem solved. Listen to the older guys here on the forum. "They now their ****.

lol.....at what age is a guy considered an "older guy"?? :eek:

riverrat 2

Cadet

ok Maybe I should of said the higher ranking officers or the guys with more seniority. lol