1980 115hp Johnson. Throttle cable

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice
How do u set the throttle cable for 1980 115hp Johnson or for all Johnson n evinrude beginning from 1977 to 1990. Is it a certain amount of turns. I have no problem setting the shift cable at all it's just the throttle part I'm having trouble with. When ever I set the idle it's perfect and when u put it in gear it gets on plain. It's just when u put it pack in neutral it's idle up high again. Whenever I set the advance timing or idle screw when it's in forward gear it comes out perfect until u put it back in neutral then it's idled high again,if u set the idle back where it suppose to be and put it in forward gear then it won't hardly go unless u give it a little more throttle so now u have to put it back in forward gear and set it over again. So it's back and forth back and forth trying to get it set right. I'm thinking it had something to do with the throttle cable knob that u can turn by hand. I don't know please help thanks. Ps. To set adjust the timing a little wouldn't u use the idle screw thinggy right above the cam on the top left side?

papachaz

Seaman
Re: 1980 115hp Johnson. Throttle cable

start with the cable adjusted so that the idle stop screw is all the way back against the stopping point on the motor. I have a 79 115, and that's what the service manual says. I'd highly recommend getting a service manual, you can order one from iboats or maybe get on on ebay (where I got mine). You really do need one to do a link and sync

but the starting point for the throttle cable is: engine off, in neutral, the idle screw should be set all the way against it's stop.

Besegen

Seaman

I'm a noob on my first boat and I could be way off base, and mine is a '75 85 hp so I don't even know if the cable installation works the same way...but I had a similar problem with both the throttle and shift when I first got this boat. I finally, figured out the cables weren't installed properly at the control box by the previous owner (were not crimped) so they were slipping in the sleeves. If I slow shifted (I know, bad) it would usually go into reverse but if I threw it down like you are suppose to it would never go cause the cable end was slipping out the sleeve end. Had the same problem with the throttle. One time it would be about right, the next it wouldn't. Just a suggestion if it can even apply to you. Maybe someone else more experienced could chime in whether or not its possible.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Adjust the throttle lever at the engine end. Start the engine and run at idle. Disconnect the throttle cable. Push the spark advance (by hand) lever so that the big idle screw is hard against the powerhead. (dead idle.) Visually check the throttle cable end hole and match it up with it's pin on the bottom of the spark advance lever. You may have to turn the thumbwheel slightly in order to get the cable end to match the pin. Couple of things to check: When at idle, the carb butterflys must be completely closed. If the sync and link is off slightly, perhaps the butterflys on one carb are slightly ajar (open) at idle-that will cause idle issues. Be sure that at idle, the roller cam must be a few thousandths from actually touching the cam. (you should be able to slip a pc of paper between the two at idle.) Regarding setting the timing: Normally, the engine's timing does not require adjustment. I'd be careful trying to reset it unless you have a factory manual, a timing light and have experience in making this adjustment.

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice

When the idle screw is hard up against the engine should it be turned all the way in or at halfway point. And then u would adjust it from there after the throttle cables are set?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You don't know where the idle screw must be until you set the idle. Maybe that's the first thing to do. Put the boat in the water. Start it up and let it warm up. Remove the throttle cable under the cowling. Put the engine in forward (at idle) Set the idle speed in gear between 650 and 750 rpm's. Once the engine idles properly, then worry about reconnecting and adjusting the throttle cable.

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. That same screw will it move the timing when in neutral. If that advance arm is too far back from the advanced stop screw it won't even run unless I move it closer to it about an inch close. So the idle screw and timing screw are the same screw it just work different when your setting it in neutral and in forward gear. Forward gear is advanced timing and neutral would be just timing. Idk. Thanks anyway. I hate to be a pest I'm just trying to figure it out. Ok I will try it Thursday. ��

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The jets are fixed on that engine. You can't adjust the idle jets-so the carbs don't control the idle rpm's. You are correct and observant-The way to adjust the idle on that engine is by adjusting the idle timing. It does not matter what degrees of timing you wind up with (each boat is different) as long as you wind up with the correct idle rpm's.