What control cable & adapters for Evinrude fastwin and Chrysler control box?

wildartstech

Cadet
I Pre-Thanks you all!

I have an 1968 18hp Evinrude Fastwin outboard on my boat. I wanted to install a control box cause my boat has a functioning steering wheel. SO I found an old Chrysler control box. The only problem now is I need the correct combination of cables and adapters. I searched iboats and found cables but have no idea if it is possible or what parts/adapters I need to connect the two together? I have a photo of what I'm working with below. The engine is in excellent condition the control box wasn't expensive (the reason I want to use it) It has the box, inards, lever and steel flat connecter type piece with. I have the ability to drill, tap, even weld etc... but think perhaps there is an easier solution.

fastwincontrol.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: What control cable & adapters for Evinrude fastwin and Chrysler control box?

Get rid of the Chrysler box and get a proper one for the Evinrude. The throws simply won't work. Any of the Evinrude Simplex, Johnson Shipmaster or Gale Bo'Sun boxes will work. Some of the later single lever OMC boxes may work, too. You would need a set of cable clips to hook the cables to the motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: What control cable & adapters for Evinrude fastwin and Chrysler control box?

Totally agree with above, way too much headache. OMC controls and cables are cheap, and much more easily found than the Chrylser one you have. You will not have a problem in the least getting a good set. Make sure you buy a set with the clips to hook to the motor with, and preferably the anchors that bolt to the motor if you dont already have them installed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 2.........

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The Chrysler control was made by Morse. Morse company sold out to Teleflex. What Teleflex didn't drop, they changed. What is left, is sold here at iboats. It takes the 33C cables, and you need the adapter parts for both ends. I knew what those parts were when Morse made them, but this is now. Yes, the Morse controls will work on OMC Evinrude with the proper cable ends.

However, I have to agree, you are way far better off just getting a Simplex or Ship Master control, far more plentiful and cheaper to the pocketbook.

Somebody can use that Morse control. It can be used on off-breed motors.

wildartstech

Cadet

The Chrysler control was made by Morse. Morse company sold out to Teleflex. What Teleflex didn't drop, they changed. What is left, is sold here at iboats. It takes the 33C cables, and you need the adapter parts for both ends. I knew what those parts were when Morse made them, but this is now. Yes, the Morse controls will work on OMC Evinrude with the proper cable ends.

However, I have to agree, you are way far better off just getting a Simplex or Ship Master control, far more plentiful and cheaper to the pocketbook.

Somebody can use that Morse control. It can be used on off-breed motors.

Thank you all! For you imput... I'll begin my search for the aforementioned. If figure I'll post the Chrysler control box on ebay or craigslist now.

wildartstech

Cadet

Also, did I forget to mention also looking for a starter for my engine it's a 1964 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp. Not sure what part number is there as it doesn't have a starter but it has the sprocket/gear for it. Not sure if it's worth finding an old starter or getting a new one or what to order? ALso couldn't help but wonder if there was a starter that would also charge the battery or is that asking too much?

kfa4303

Banned

HI Willard. I agree that it will be cheaper and easier to simply get a new/old control box. You can find them all over ebay, aomci.org and other sites for less than $40. You'll also nee 2 new cables, one for throttle, one for gear shift, as well as the engine side fittings which you can also easily find online. The cables are about $20 each and the fittings are about $10. You'll also need the necessary steering hardware, if you don't have it already. You can also convert the motor to electric start, if you want, but my old '66 20hp fires right up in 1-2 pulls, so it's not really worth it for me. Here are some great articles that can walk you through the entire set up as well as giving your motor a tune up from top to bottom.

Columns - Obsolete Outboards
Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
1968 Evinrude 18802M 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Also, did I forget to mention also looking for a starter for my engine it's a 1964 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp. Not sure what part number is there as it doesn't have a starter but it has the sprocket/gear for it. Not sure if it's worth finding an old starter or getting a new one or what to order? ALso couldn't help but wonder if there was a starter that would also charge the battery or is that asking too much?

I continue to be amazed at how many starters are showing up. It seems to me that there are a lot more people looking for them than were made in the first place. If you find one, expect it to be expensive, or perhaps the seller doesn't know it's worth. No, adding an electric starter doesn't make it recharge the battery. However, a charged battery will start it many times.

wildartstech

Cadet

I found a Johnson Shipmaster Dual Lever control. Now I need the cable, cable clips and anchors? I found the correct cable but... I can see were parts would attach but have no idea without seeing a photo of someone else's setup what is supposed to be there. What part numbers and/or part names would I search on iboats to replace these parts? Or is there a parts cataglogue that has the anchor and clips parts so I can try and see if they are there? Thank you again!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have always found it best to buy complete set of cables and control box. Dont worry if the cables are junk, they are cheap. Just ensure it has the ends.

Did you already buy the box?

wildartstech

Cadet

I have always found it best to buy complete set of cables and control box. Dont worry if the cables are junk, they are cheap. Just ensure it has the ends.

Did you already buy the box?

Yeah purchased the box. I just need a photo of what I'm looking for, lol and I can figure it out.

wildartstech

Cadet

I found a kit to attach to the engine but can't figure out if this is all I need or not.. The cables came with nothing on the ends. Having a hard time seeing how this kit actually attachs to the cable ends.
Omc 3400 Adapter Kits - iboats