1971 johnson 50hp hydro electric drive ( 3 way switch in control box needs replacing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaseBoats22

Cadet
I have a 1971 johnson 50hp hydro electric drive. The switch that allows the motor to shift position in the forward control box has broken. I need some help to rewire a new three way toggle swith to replace it. I believe that without any power to the solinoids the motor is in the forward gear, and there needs to be 12v to the green wire for nuetral and 12v to the green and blue wire for reverse. So here is where i need help, there is a white and purple wire coming from the ignition switch and there is a white and purple wire coming from the wiring harness along with the green and blue wire.
This is how i think i should hook it up but would like someone to double check or correct me if possible.
-I believe i do not attach any wires to what i want to be the forward position of the toggle switch.
-I need to hook up the white and purple wire coming from the ignition switch along with the white, purple, and green wire coming from the wiring harness to what i want to be the nuetral position of the toggle switch.
-and for reverse splice into the white wire coming from the wiring harness and attach it to the position of the toggle switch i want to be reverse along with the green and blue wire.
If someone doesnt mind double checking me i would greatly appariciate it, i would hate to do all this then fry something haha thanks alot!!!

Also would like to know the suggested prop size for best performance I have a 13 3/4x15 on it right now and i beleive the dia needs to be smaller, it doesnt seem to be running at its potential and the motor runs great maybe need a 13x15? or a 13x16 if it can be found?? any input??

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 1971 johnson 50hp hydro electric drive ( 3 way switch in control box needs replac

UGH I wish I had known I JUST sold one on ebay for $12.00

How do you know the switch is bad? Everyone talks about the bad switches but IT is HIGHLY unusual for the switches to go bad. There is a wiring diagram on how to do it but there is an entire control set for that motor on ebay buy it now for $45 shipped.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 johnson 50hp hydro electric drive ( 3 way switch in control box needs replac

I assume that you know that although they look similar, the Straight Electric Shift switches that existed from 1962 thru 1970 DO NOT interchange with the Hydro Electric Shift switches that existed from 1968 to 1972.... they are a completely different animal so to speak, the internal wiring is completely different. Unfortunately these Hydro Electric Shift switches are just about extinct.

Should you be unable to find the proper switch, here is an alternative... a suggestion, not a recommendation due to the danger involved.

(Toggle Shift Switch Setup For The Hydro Electric Shift Unit)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE (Disclaimer) - The following toggle setup will suffice BUT it is extremely dangerous. Should you use it, you are agreeing to use it at your own risk with myself disavowng any responsibility for its design or use.

Due to the unavailability of the "Push Button" (Evinrude) or "Toggle Type" (Johnson) shift switch that is required for the "Hydro Electric Shift" type lower units that existed between 1968 and 1972, many boaters have asked how they could rig up a toggle switch to perform this shifting function. There may be much better solutions but the following is what I have come up with.

One must keep in mind that wiring a toggle switch in such a manner allows one to accidently shift from forward to reverse at full throttle. This could and probably has resulted in injuries to boaters, not to mention the mechanical damage. Should this or any other problems arise/occur, I am in no way to be held responsible for the toggle switch to shift switch replacement mentioned here.

For the above reason, I strongly suggest that the toggle switch have a hinged hard case cover installed over it so that the toggle can never be thrown/toggled accidentally.

Now, with a single pole double throw toggle switch installed so the "Green" wire connection is facing up or away from you, make the following connections to the terminals on the back of the toggle switch.

......O <--- Green Wire

......O <--- 12 volt Supply

......O <--- Blue Wire

Now, between the Green wire and Blue wire terminal on the toggle switch, connect a diode capable of handling 12 volts (available at Radio Shack etc). Be sure to install the diode so that the voltage will travel from the Blue wire connection to the Green wire connection only...... and not vice versa!

Now, if you have installed the switch as above, with the toggle pulled all the way back (towards yourself), contact will be made between the 12v supply and the Green connection. This puts the unit in Neutral. The diode prevents any voltage from gaining access to the Blue connection.

Pushing the toggle lever to the middle position results in no voltage being supplied to either wire. This results in the spring loaded clutch shifter dog in the lower unit throwing the unit into forward gear.

Pushing the toggle switch lever all the way to the front position will have the center 12 volt supply connected to the Blue wire connection, and due to the diode, that 12 volt supply will also be supplied to the Green wire. This results in having the unit in reverse gear.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Didn?t OMC stern drives back in the late 1960s / early 1970s also use the Hydro Electric shift? If so, how much different would the shift control box be? Could an old binnacle mount from an old OMC stern drive be utilized?
I am only adding this to the thread because if the shifters can be used, you would have a larger pool of available donors out there.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Didn’t OMC stern drives back in the late 1960s / early 1970s also use the Hydro Electric shift? If so, how much different would the shift control box be? Could an old binnacle mount from an old OMC stern drive be utilized? I am only adding this to the thread because if the shifters can be used, you would have a larger pool of available donors out there.

No, the OMC stern drives of yesteryear incorporated the Straight Electric Shift system, NOT the Hydro Electric Shift System. As I mentioned above, the shift switches between the two systems do not interchange.

ChaseBoats22

Cadet

I assume that you know that although they look similar, the Straight Electric Shift switches that existed from 1962 thru 1970 DO NOT interchange with the Hydro Electric Shift switches that existed from 1968 to 1972.... they are a completely different animal so to speak, the internal wiring is completely different. Unfortunately these Hydro Electric Shift switches are just about extinct.

Should you be unable to find the proper switch, here is an alternative... a suggestion, not a recommendation due to the danger involved.

(J. Reeves)

NOTE (Disclaimer) - The following toggle setup will suffice BUT it is extremely dangerous. Should you use it, you are agreeing to use it at your own risk with myself disavowng any responsibility for its design or use.

Due to the unavailability of the "Push Button" (Evinrude) or "Toggle Type" (Johnson) shift switch that is required for the "Hydro Electric Shift" type lower units that existed between 1968 and 1972, many boaters have asked how they could rig up a toggle switch to perform this shifting function. There may be much better solutions but the following is what I have come up with.

One must keep in mind that wiring a toggle switch in such a manner allows one to accidently shift from forward to reverse at full throttle. This could and probably has resulted in injuries to boaters, not to mention the mechanical damage. Should this or any other problems arise/occur, I am in no way to be held responsible for the toggle switch to shift switch replacement mentioned here.

For the above reason, I strongly suggest that the toggle switch have a hinged hard case cover installed over it so that the toggle can never be thrown/toggled accidentally.

Now, with a single pole double throw toggle switch installed so the "Green" wire connection is facing up or away from you, make the following connections to the terminals on the back of the toggle switch.

......O <--- Green Wire

......O <--- Blue Wire

Now, between the Green wire and Blue wire terminal on the toggle switch, connect a diode capable of handling 12 volts (available at Radio Shack etc). Be sure to install the diode so that the voltage will travel from the Blue wire connection to the Green wire connection only...... and not vice versa!

Now, if you have installed the switch as above, with the toggle pulled all the way back (towards yourself), contact will be made between the 12v supply and the Green connection. This puts the unit in Neutral. The diode prevents any voltage from gaining access to the Blue connection.

Pushing the toggle lever to the middle position results in no voltage being supplied to either wire. This results in the spring loaded clutch shifter dog in the lower unit throwing the unit into forward gear.

Pushing the toggle switch lever all the way to the front position will have the center 12 volt supply connected to the Blue wire connection, and due to the diode, that 12 volt supply will also be supplied to the Green wire. This results in having the unit in reverse gear.

-Alright that corrects me from connecting the 12v supply to both the green and blue wires at the same time which makes no since because that would be sending power to both..thank you

-Im thinking of using two ( on-off toggle switches ) for a saftey precaution so i dont accidentaly bump the switch and destroy something going down the water......
-I plan on using the FIRST switch and connecting the 12v(purple wire) from the harness to the OFF position and continue running the 12vPW from the ON position of the FIRST switch to the ON position of the SECOND switch. Im also going to connect the PURPLE WIRE from the ignition switch to the 12vPW power source and splice it together before the FIRST switch.

.......(on position) O purple wire (running this wire to the on position of the SECOND switch)
Giving me the option to kill the power to the SECOND switch that controls N & R
.......(off position) O Purple wire

-Also on the SECOND switch to the ON position connect the GREEN WIRE for neutral...and the WHITE WIRES coming from both the harness and the ignition switch. This way when the toggle is in the on position I have neutral and will have power to start the motor.

.......(on position) O green and white wire from the harness and the white wire from the ignition switch.

- Also on the SECOND switch connect the BLUE wire to the OFF position, and running the diode from the OFF position to the ON position of the SECOND switch giving me reverse when I turn the toggle to the OFF position

.......(off position) O blue wire and running the diode correctly from here to the ON position

-Im thinking by having the two switches i can flip on the First switch and have power going to the ON position of the Second switch that is now nuetral and i can start the motor in this position.....and flip the toggle to the off position on the Second switch and have the motor in reverse...and by flipping the First switch to the OFF position it disconnects all power to the SECOND switch (solenoids) so the motor is in the forward position and you cannot a shift the motor by accident to neutral or reverse while operating.

- I think this will work..... what do you think?

ChaseBoats22

Cadet

Well i got ahead of myself, having the Second switch with only two terminal posts wont work because having power going to the ON position with the 12v power source will only let it be in nuetral and have no power to the OFF position where I was going to have the hookup for reverse
-plan B haha

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Here is what you want: (Use a DPDT switch)

EDIT: Those "hot" wires should be purple and purple/green stripe. Both go to the center terms of the DPDT. Purple / white stripe is choke. Maybe that is what is "wrong" with your switch??

Attachments

• HydroElectric Toggle Switch.jpg
    HydroElectric Toggle Switch.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 28

ChaseBoats22

Cadet

wow so easy haha. I really apreciate the help!!! thanks

Bob Wash

Recruit

Hello,

I attached a picture of my wires, and there are five. Where do all my wires go on the switch? Do you have a picture or diagram you can post?

Thanks!

100_2181.jpg

(J. Reeves)

......O <--- Green Wire

......O <--- Blue Wire

Bob Wash

Recruit

Forgot to state that I have a 1972 Johnson 65 HP - Hydro-Electric Drive

Hello,

I attached a picture of my wires, and there are five. Where do all my wires go on the switch? Do you have a picture or diagram you can post?

Thanks!

View attachment 201099

Sech1

Recruit

I have a 1971 johnson hydro shift outboard, I see a few posts up that it's exactt like mine 5 wires are coming out problem is all I can make out is a green and a faded wire t look pink the rest are white!!!! I ruled out the two white wires for the neutral safety switch but my main concern is which one is the purple with a green tracer and the blue?! Would it be easier to just install a toggle as where exactly to put the diode?! Can I see a picture?

Oceancube

Cadet
You guys ever figure this problem out ? I'm having same issues with my 1971 johnson 85hp. Starts but won't shut off with key ! Any ideas ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Post is over five (5) years old... Start a new one and explain your problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.