6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle setting

myoung

Cadet
015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpgHi everyone!
I need some advice on a 6HP Fisherman outboard I was given. First a little background. Motor was sitting several years, and was given to me. It has no serial # plate, or id number on engine. It is definitely mid sixties-early seventies. I pulled the flywheel, cleaned and gapped points, cleaned the carb(on motor), replaced fuel line,checked fuel pump, put in fresh gas, and she ran on the second pull. I have used the motor a couple of times and it ran well with a couple of small "quirks".
1. I have to twist throttle past start to start. I can get motor to idle, but the indicator on the twist grip is still near start, forget about the SHIFT position.
2.If I can settle on what sounds to be a good idle to shift, the motor stalls. Shifting is done at a slightly higher RPM...But it seems a little harsh to me.
3. Motor seems like it should have a little more at top end when WOT. It seems almost like the tiller gear is out of index somehow, their are no missing or damaged teeth, and the system doesn't seem sloppy. Moter runs and sounds good and is smooth through full range. Seems to have good power in relation to RPM.
3. Cam follower has a groove in it where it contacts cam...I plan to fill and sand groove to allow a more precise adjustment. I have a Clymers manual that says the 6HP should have the cam mark on the port side of follower upon contact...it appears mine is adjusted to the starboard edge.
4. someone suggested a main jet seal in regard to the advanced throttle postion at idle.

I would like some more experienced input before I start taking too much stuff apart. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Rick.

Captain
Re: 6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle settin

1. Don't worry about the throttle markings as they are not always accurate.
2. perhaps your running on one cylinder? Do a spark gap check or if your brave at idle remove one plug boot at a time. If it stalls when you pull one that is the one with good spark. Rubber gloves!
3. It pivots on the starboard but if you look it has a slotted opening on the port side for the adjustment. I had to dremel my slot a bit longer so it would make contact with the cam follower at the right time.
4.Not sure what to say about that except I would get the other stuff right first.

I'll try and find a few pics of my 68 that might help identify yours. Best of luck. Rick.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 6HP Fisherman...need help with cam follower adjustment and tiller/throttle settin

IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1528.jpgIMG_1546.jpgThe number on the plug translates to a 1969 model 6802C. Mine had no tag on the transom bracket. It is much cleaner now but I only had these pictures from when I first got it. Rick.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts can help you with any questions. The link below will get you to extensive service information from another forum member. I have the 1973 version and it is a jewel. Good luck with yours!

OMC outboard related articles

myoung

Cadet

Thanks for the help fellas. Going to try and tinker today...will post back.

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Myyoung, Buy another cam follower.( plactic or rubber roller) 70s motor. Move the cam to make contact with the roller (starboard side of mark) At this point the butterfly on the carb. should start to open.

myoung

Cadet

Just added pictures of the motor in question. They are on the original post. Note the plastic "blade" shaped cam follower. It has a groove worn in it...seems to be a poor design, may have only been used a short time. Could help with dating motor.
In reply to other posts: Motor has good spark on both plugs, runs like a top except that it is sensitive when at low RPM.
Throttle over/under runs with minor adjustments. Sound like it should have 500 more RPM at WOT. I should probably find a Tach and just re-mark the twist grip. Any idea of the roller cam follower part number that would replace the one pictured? Thanks again !!!

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

Looks close to what Rick posted. Try part # 0312832 see if it will work for you before you buy it. It's around $25 bucks. Than do a link and synch. Should idle smooth for you.

myoung

Cadet

Not familiar with the term link and sync...can you explain? Thanks

Rick.

Captain

"The number on the plug translates to a 1969 model 6802C." My bad, mine is a 1968 model not a 69. I just ordered a seal kit for the gear case today and it does matter what suffix I use. C was a different part # then other 68's. Keep looking for your freeze plug! Rick.

myoung

Cadet

Freeze plug is gone..serial plate missing from transom bracket. Can see the holes where it was mounted.

nwcove

Admiral

Freeze plug is gone..serial plate missing from transom bracket. Can see the holes where it was mounted.

she may be running a bit warm!:flame:

myoung

Cadet

I get your Point!

tjhamms

Seaman Apprentice

myoung, Synchronization is timing the carb. to the ignition system. As the throttle is advanced to increase rpm. So is the ignition, both at the same rate. First you need to know what year it is to properly make the adjustments. My last post was for a 70's link and sync. Just to be sure you stated you gapped the points, make sure they are opening at the "set" mark on the high point of the cam under the flywheel. Did you have any luck with that part number?

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check compression? I have a 1975 model that the po abused the heck out of and even has low compression and still runs good,lol. And make sure its not overheating, motor doesnt require link & sync. Low speed passages in carb might. also be clogged

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would not file off the carb arm, but fill it back as close as original with JB Weld

myoung

Cadet

Thanks to everyone! I will keep you posted. Leeroy, I saw your site when I first received the motor...great info. I credit you that I was able to even start this old girl! On with the fine tuning!

myoung

Cadet

After all of the input I received, here is my plan of attack. Please holler if you see something wrong!
I need to remove carb to repair the groove in the cam follower.
I will drop the float bowl while I have it off. Then check for gunk, proper float level, and make sure main jet is ok and well sealed.

CAN ANYONE POINT OUT PASSAGES ON CARB I SHOULD PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO?

reassemble, reset cam follower, cross fingers, start! THANK YOU!

myoung

Cadet

OK, here's what I found:
Port carb nut just tight enough not to come off.
High speed nozzle gasket is old cork and falling apart, some green verdigris on brass nozzle.
Float is the old cork style with shellac flaking off
low speed needle packing falling apart
Sure to find more, Thats what I found in the first 2 minutes.
carb looks clean and original, lead shot are tight. I am going to rebuild, motor used mostly in extreme weather. Rather do it all now while its off instead off kicking myself later.

In a related note I found the pinion gear on the pull start is ready to fail.
001.jpg004.jpg006.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

when you cleaned the carb the first time did you re-kit it? if not you should, that way you can get to the all important idle circuit under the welch plug on top. ( kit will come with new plug).