Metal Gas Cap Leak: Evinrude 2 hp Mate, 1973

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on a 1973 Evinrude 2hp Mate. This motor has the built-in metal fuel tank. I have NOT been able to get the fuel cap to fully seal so as you motor along, gas spills out onto the tank, etc. I have tried everything I can think of. I am thinking the problem might stem from the fact that, over time, the metal lip of the tank gets mis-shappen so no seal can occur. I have tried 4 different fuel caps with various rubber gaskets, o-rings, cork gaskets, etc. but cannot find a solution. Does anyone have experience with how to resolve this?
Thanks.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Metal Gas Cap Leak: Evinrude 2 hp Mate, 1973

Try re-working the metal lip a little bit. Take the tank off and completely empty the fuel out. A close look at the lip might show you the problem and a small ball peen hammer just might do the trick. If not, there's a list of Salvage Companies in the "Top Secret file" at the top of the forum page that may have a used tank in good condition.

Rick.

Captain

Are you sure the tank is metal? My buddy has a 76 and the tank is plastic. Best of luck. Rick.

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, starting in 1975 the tanks were plastic, before that they were metal. Thanks.