Where to find nylon washers for Evinrude Sportwin...

Vaught221

Recruit
I am changing the lower unit gear oil in my 1964 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 hp. Last year I couldn't find any nylon washers to replace the ones sealing the lower and upper screws in the lower unit, so I just put the old ones back in. They are pretty scratched up, and I'm worried they might leak. I couldn't find any that would work at the hardware store, so can anyone tell me where to find them? Can I just use an o-ring?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Where to find nylon washers for Evinrude Sportwin...

You can find them right here on iboats, or order them from your local uap napa store. Just a few bucks for a pack of 5.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Part number 18-4248-9, here at iboats, for the nylon flat washers package. But some plugs use an o-ring instead. So, we don't know which one you have in your motor because they are interchangeable (plug & washer or o-ring combo).

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

At one time someone suggested the little bins at Home Depot had compatible ones, but I haven't verified that.

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had luck at finding them at lowes Home Depot and other mom and pop shops but they never held up like oem. They got me through a season but I wouldn't chance it farther then that. Mine failed at the 400 hour mark which isn't much boating for me. The cost is about the same but my boats cannot sit its how I make money so they got me out of a jam until the parts came in. If you can wait 3 days I'd just go ahead and order the correct seals.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The oem part # is 311598. Can get it at any BRP Dlr.