1957 evinrude 10 hp, fuel pump conversion

nwcove

Admiral
has anyone had success with a mikuni or b&s pump converting a 10hp ? or is there a better option to convert to single line for the 10 ?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 evinrude 10 hp, fuel pump conversion

Ive done 3 or 4 of the 10s with the Mikuni. Fits under the carb unlike the smaller hp motors.

nwcove

Admiral

thanks chris, did you use the rectangular mikuni, or the round b&s/mikuni? or would it matter other than ease of install? lotsa room under the cowl compared to the 5.5's!! was more worried about the pump keeping up with demand at wot.

rfevans

Seaman

NWCove for what its worth I did one last year it was a 55 15 hp evinrude and I used the B/S that I got from the local lawnmower shop. Works like a champ..Been out in it at least a dozen all day fishing trips since not any problems one...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I am fairly certain I used the rectangular Mikuni on the QDs. I dont think I personally tried a BS, not to say it will not work though.

nwcove

Admiral

thanks guys, not sure which pump i will use, but its good to know either option will feed enough fuel.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

want pictures of a Mikuni job ?? drop me a email Montreal QC
I did a FD 15hp with a Mikuni... works fine
and did a QD 10 hp with a OMC square pump... works fine also and...simpler job to mount on a plate on a bypass cover (one hose less vs 3 )

Tried getting cheaper B&S round pumps in Canada to do a recent 7.5 Fleetwin 1958 ... ...no go
It looks like a closed market and shipping $$ from USA is prohibitive :-(

Remember that any pump will need to be serviced one day so use the pump with easiest supply of pump kits

EDIT: No personal info allowed. Try PM

Last edited by a moderator:

rfevans

Seaman

Crosbyman I'm curious to why the B/S did not work. I have using mine since last spring without issue and I live on the lake. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow to be sure and post a pic. I wanted to use the mikuni pump when I did mine but none to be found here without ordering and I think they are definitely better I actually did order a mikuni to replace the B/S because I was skeptical of it but its still in the tackle box waiting just in case.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I got my round BS pumps on ebay for like 10 bucks, plus a few bucks shipping.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

I did not indicate that B&S pumps would no work I simply indicated I could not get cheap B&S pumps down my way because B&S dealers did not stock and were asking 50-60$ compared to EBAY finds at $10 ...enough to turn me away

Tried AutoZone in Platsburg NY....but they did not stock the pumps (I did see a AutoZone ad for $10 or so on EBAY)
Tried a lawn tractor shop in Massena Ny .... they knew of the pumps but did not stock them....??? strange for a tractor shop

My previous Mikuni was $45 and that was ordered from a motorbike shop.

I admit B&S EBAY prices are excellent but I do not have a PAYPAL account and a lot of sellers won't take credit cards and they shipping is limited to USA

Asked around for folks to ship me some cheappies ... no takers :-(

So my Fleetwin will end up with a OMC square pump (on order and will likely be a Sierra equivalent at $60 = taxes at 15%) bummer but at least I won't need the extra nipple and vacum line. Can't beat OMC square pumps for a clean fit.

When I visit States side again ... if I find a store with well priced B&S pumps I' ll buy a couple.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

what holds the pump in place when you do the under-carb mount? just ordered two mikunis today, wont be here for a couple of weeks tho.
crosbyman, post your pics here for future reference!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To be honest, it is pretty tight. Add that to the tension of the hoses, and there is no mounting required really. A little silicone wouldnt hurt anything though. I didnt want to bolt through the pan myself, but that is up to you.

There is more room in the cowl than the smaller hp motors, so if you want it bolted up, there are more options.

nwcove

Admiral

think i will stick with the pump being side mounted and secured.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Here is my pump mount on my 1959 Evinrude 18. Just a flat piece of metal.

DSC03526.jpg