1958 fastwin 18 seals

Ctboaterguy

Cadet
Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I was given the fastwin 18 (model 15926) electric start engine. I don't know it's history all I know is that it was lying on its side in the hull of an old boat. I cleaned spark plugs, checked for spark , added some gas and got it to run. Only ran it for a min or 2 in bucket.wasn't sure of water pump condition. The starter has been removed. I drained gear oil and it was very milky. I ordered a new seal kit for it and a carb kit as well. Anyone have idea on easiest way to remove / replace seals ? ...also I took out that little Phillips screw in the lower unit . Is this gonna be a prob? Any info would be great.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1958 fastwin 18 seals

pretty striaght forward. take alot of pictures. i bought a slide hammer from hf, that was great for pulling the seals. for the shift shaft i used a 1/4 spade bit that had a long shank to punch the shift bushing and o ring.
someone will chime in, there was a link about how to reseal a lower unit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You will need a few items before you begin. A seal puller (Looks like a "T"), some 3M 847, and a tool to remove the shift rod bushing and o ring. F_R on this forum makes such a tool.

Service_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5.jpg
Asm_LU.jpgService_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5b.jpg

Ctboaterguy

Cadet

Ok, got seals out this am. Used an old carpenters tool called a Cyclops. Took it apart , it had just the hook I needed , actually prop and driveshaft seals came out rather nicely. Shift lever seal, did the drill bit thing , popped right out.Thanks. Will install them tomorrow when they come UPS.