1958 Evinrude 18hp electric start

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I just got a great deal on this outboard. It's a one owner motor that has been kept in the guy's garage. Hasn't been used in the past 7-8 years. Bought it for $200 including the two of the two line pressurized gas tanks, remote starter solenoid, and the two button panel.(start/stop) Was curious if anyone knows how to wire it from the two switch control panel to the solenoid, etc...the stop button didn't have any wire connected to it and some of the other wires were disconnected. Maybe someone would have a diagram of how to wire it. Also the man I bought it from mentioned something about people putting fuel pumps on them rather than having to use the pressurized tanks. My plan is to get the wiring done from the control panel to the solenoid to starter, replace the impeller then fire it up and see how runs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1958 Evinrude 18hp electric start

Sounds like a pretty good deal with the two pressure tanks. If they are in good condition, they are worth upwards of $50 each. So you have a separate junction box with the starter solenoid? Does the motor have a remote choke (solenoid on the carb)? Some pics would help. At least, describe the wires/colors coming out of the junction box going to the starter pushbuttons.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I think I just got a great deal on this outboard. It's a one owner motor that has been kept in the guy's garage. Hasn't been used in the past 7-8 years. Bought it for $200 including the two of the two line pressurized gas tanks, remote starter solenoid, and the two button panel.(start/stop) Was curious if anyone knows how to wire it from the two switch control panel to the solenoid, etc...the stop button didn't have any wire connected to it and some of the other wires were disconnected. Maybe someone would have a diagram of how to wire it. Also the man I bought it from mentioned something about people putting fuel pumps on them rather than having to use the pressurized tanks. My plan is to get the wiring done from the control panel to the solenoid to starter, replace the impeller then fire it up and see how runs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the wiring diagrams I used to wire my 1959 18hp Evinrude. I was able to install everything inside to cover but you have the clam shell cover so things will be different with a lot of the wiring being done on the outside of the motor. The kill/stop switch is just a grounding switch.

58to60fastwinwiring for elect start.jpgstarterwiringdiagram.jpg

You will want to check the coils. If they have not be replaced you will probably need to replace them. They will probably be cracked like the ones I replaced on mine. They are cheap and can be found here on iBoats.

DSC03522.JPG

You can install a fuel pump and eliminate the pressure tank. Here is an image of where I installed my fuel pump.

DSC03526.jpg

Duckworks.com has a write up on how to revive these old motors. Read through it and you will be surprised how easy these motors are to work on. There are several other sites with lots of info about these old motors. Search here and on Google and your motor should be up and running in no time. Take lots of pictures and post them here if you have problems. Very knowledgeable folks here willing to help with anything.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sounds great.

Do you have a pic and/or model number? Just want to ensure you have a '58. Minor differences as to wiring a key switch or push button start.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like its a 1957 model and not 1958. Basing that on the serial number 15922-03416. The stop/choke push button switch is broken, anyone know where I might find both the start and stop/choke buttons? Also I need the fuel line connector that plugs into the engine. This is the two hose setup from pressurized tank. Appreciate all your help so far, thanks!

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like its a 1957 model #15922

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Also I need the fuel line connector that plugs into the engine. This is the two hose setup from pressurized tank. Appreciate all your help so far, thanks!

I have one you can have if you pay postage! PM me if you want it.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks series60, the connector on the engine has the three male prongs? So i would need the connector with the three holes in it, appreciate it and will PM you.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as the two button control panel for the electric start, the button for start is fine, the other for choke and stop one of the connectors is broken off so will have to try and find one of those. Think I will take the whole setup down to Napa and see if the can fix me up with the right gauge wires, etc...otherwise upon closer inspection it doesn't look that difficult to rewire.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Not much to wiring that at all.

Just get aftermarket push button switches that fit. Your local auto parts store will carry them.

I thought it would end up being a '57 based on your descriptions.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that's what I think I will do Chris. Going to Napa tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Yeah the guy said it was a 58 but when I started checking out youtube videos, it was definately a 57. This thing looks to be in fine shape as he and his father who originally bought it new, are mechanics. Right now I'm going to get the control panel wiring taken care of, order an impeller, and get the female fuel line connector that plugs into the engine. Would you know of a good site that deals with parts from these outboards? I know ebay has some stuff but are very limited. THanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It all depends on which parts specifically. I deal with different vendors depending on what I need. I buy alot of parts!

I have a '57 18hp Evinrude Electric Start as well that is totally done. Havent run it yet, she is in line. I actually have 2 '57 18hp Evinrudes, but 1 of them is manual start.

Here is a pic of mine.036.jpg037.jpg038.jpg039.jpg

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful looking engine Chris! Mine will need a paint job, will post pics once I get it all done. Going to be a great trolling/kicker motor!! Saw your pics on another forum just awhile ago.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bill in case you didn't get my PM, I would like to get the fuel connector if I could. Just let me know the cost and I have paypal or however you want to do it. Thanks

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bill in case you didn't get my PM, I would like to get the fuel connector if I could. Just let me know the cost and I have paypal or however you want to do it. Thanks

I got the PM and the part is sitting here on my desk. PM me your address.

kbait

Commander

Tim's outboard is a great source of parts. 218-682-2331. They're also listed in 'top secret files' under salvage yards at the top of this forum.

Good luck!

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

tmise remember it can only be original factory fresh paint once. Great find and will look kool either way!

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Think ahead when buying parts on-line because freight is sometimes higher than parts. Go ahead and get things like points, cond., carb kit, impeller. make a list then price from different sources. It is frustrating when you have just ordered parts and find out you need something else and having to pay another $10. in freight. and yes check napa, sometimes it will cost less than paying those freight charges, and sometimes not. I have learned this from making mistakes, of course.