1982 70hp Johnson Timing, spark plug questions

South Paw

Seaman
Hello all,

I will shortly be replacing the stator and timer base in my engine. I have gone with CDI parts for these items.

I have read various threads in regards to spark plug gaps etc and sticking with forum rules have started a new thread, i'm sure this has been done to death.

Firstly can someone tell me in METRIC what should the gap be set to? I have the NGKs and a set of Champions.

Secondly, i have a workshop manual, but just wondering with the demise of leaded fuel, how does this effect timing etc on this engine?
As i understand it, unleaded fuel degrades faster than the old leaded stuff and if old will effect detonation.

If there is is a thread for setting the timing for this engine could someone link it?

I appreciate all replies as usual this forum has been of immense help.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 70hp Johnson Timing, spark plug questions

recomended plug L77J4 , Gap , 0.040 inch , metric 1.01600 mm , after you fitted every thing & pluged all the plugs in , provideing you have not turned the idle ajusting screws . the 2 that are spring loaded by the trigger to the right of it your timeing should be some where near , best to double check , get a timing light connect to spark plug no 1 [top one ] , turn the motor over useing a strong charged battery aim the timing light at the pointer it should fire TDC , mark this with a little white chalk easier to see , when i do the wot timing i disconnect the carb linkage & at idle move the trigger in anticlock wise direction the timing light should then flash on 19 degrees RPM idle should be between 700-750
the 2 spring loaded screws by the trigger turn the bottom one clockwise to advance & anticlockwise to retard

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The correct plug is a QL77JC4 and metric gap is .7620 (factory spec is .030). Install your new parts and take a dial indicator and check to see if timing pointer is at TDC. Remove the spark plugs and ground #1 plug. Take a timing light and attach to #1 plug, remove the throttle cable and advance it to WOT position. Use a remote starter or have someone turn the engine over and check timing. If timing needs to be adjusted it is set by loosening the lock nut on timing screw behind #1 carb, screw in to retard and out to advance the retighten lock nut. With todays fuel I usually retard timing 2? from factory spec's. Reattach cable and plugs,start engine and if on a hose set the idle rpm to about 1000-1100rpm as when you get it in water the backpressure will cause the RPM to drop down into the 750-800 range...
the 2 spring loaded screws by the trigger turn the bottom one clockwise to advance & anticlockwise to retard
?????????

South Paw

Seaman

Thankyou very much guys. I have the QL77JC4's.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

the reason why is because when you turn the screw in clockwise the timer base moves in anticlockwise direction when the flywheel comes round in a clockwise direction the groove on the inside of the inner diameter is gonna trigger the sensor off to spark before the piston gets to top dead center , check it out for yourself .......?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

These screws do nothing for the max timing... the top screw is the throttle stop to keep butterflys/shaft from"camming over" or going past the horizontal position and lower is the idle adjustment screw...

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2

South Paw

Seaman

Thanks for the pics Faztbullet, very helpful.