Johnson seperate oil tank

deebury

Cadet
Can someone tell me please the answer to the simplest question, the two wires that come out of the oil resevoir, where do they go ? Some dufus has cut them off and removed them prior to my purchase of the boat. Presume one is a ground wire, where does the other go to ? Is it an alarm wire perhaps ? Thanks....

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson seperate oil tank

One is a ground. You should have lose brown wire on the main engine harness, but he might have cut it because he getting a low oil horn.

deebury

Cadet

thanks for that. Cable has been cut off clean, two black wires coming out of the tank. How do I tell which one is the ground ?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think it matters, other wise the wires would be color coded.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the model # ?? Wire coding was different for different yrs. Are you still using the vro for oiling ??

deebury

Cadet

What's the model # ?? Wire coding was different for different yrs. Are you still using the vro for oiling ??

Hey, its the same motor that I was trying to get ID'd in an earlier post. There is some photos of it up now if you want to have a look. I'm picking its about a 1985 90 hp VRO. someone suggested that its probably an Evinrude. Yes the VRO is still operational.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Prior to '96 the wires were tan and black. '96 and after the tan had a black tracer. The difference in the tanks was the low oil sending unit. When the tank is hooked to the mtr the tan wire always goes to the tan wire on the mtr.