1971 100hp power pack

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a general question as i know this is a big problem with these motors but are there any after market power packs available for these motors that are stable (more reliable and less prone to easy damage) or has anyone successfully modified one to run reliable and issue free on a cheaper ignition system? :confused:

All help is very gratefully appreciated

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 100hp power pack

Strictly speaking, that is a battery CD "amplifier". The new ones seem to be pretty good, but nothing can stand abuse. Many of those amplifier problems are actually distributor problems or breaker points problems. Many people have attempted to convert those systems to automotive coil & condenser. I have yet to hear of one that gave satisfactory long term performance after the conversion. Besides, the beaker points will pit and burn just like they did on old cars and require periodic replacement. They are obsolete and outrageously expensive if you can find any new ones.

toey77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are you meaning the breaker point are obsolete now? so then really ikt is only a matter of time befor this model engine becomes a anchor

sean mathews

Cadet

i ha ve a 1970 3 cylinder that i have converted to an automotive type ignition. it actually runs better with that setup. i probably have about twenty hours problem fre on the old mootor since the conversion. it does t require a wider points gap and how long the points survive is yet to be determined.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As long as the battery charging system stays about 14 volts you should be okay. It's high voltage in those systems that will kill the points.