cleaning the heads on V4

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got one of the heads off and the water jacket's look pretty bad to me. Motor is a 1983 Evinrude 140. Diverter's seem to be in good shape though. Wanted to see what you guys thought and if anyone had suggestions on the best way to clean them. They're soaking in the parts washer right now :). Thanks.

048qz.jpg

049od.jpg

052fl.jpg

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cleaning the heads on V4

I thought about trying soaking them in CLR or vinegar but called a marina today and they will bead blast the heads for $20 so I'm going to go that route.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Water diverters.jpgI'd say you have reason for concern. The water passages seem to hold a lot of crud. I note that the last picture depicts a potential problem. The center rubber water diverter is correctly placed, but it is accumlating (deposits) right next to it. That deposit may be restricting water flow around the top cylinder. I'll post a pic of what it looked like when factory new.

Attachments

• misplaced diverters.jpg
    misplaced diverters.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the pic. Can I pull the diverters out, clean around them as best I can, then put them back in? Or should I just leave them and clean them as best I can in place?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks for the pic. Can I pull the diverters out, clean around them as best I can, then put them back in? Or should I just leave them and clean them as best I can in place?

Replace them. Once everything is clean they are VERY important for balanced cooling and they are cheap.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

To clarify the second picture of my response. That picture correctly depicts the placement of the diverter in the center of the pic. The picture also shows an incorrect placement of the right diverter.