1976 Evinrude 9.9 Compression and Head

Yooks

Cadet
Happy New Year everyone.

I have a few of questions about my 9.9 rebuild project.

First, I did a compression test on the engine. Initially, I sprayed fogging oil in the spark plug holes and ran the test. Came up with 120 on one cylinder, and 115 on the other. I then ran the engine for a few minutes. A day later I performed another compression test, this time without the fogging oil. The compression came up as 90 on one and 95 on the other.

First question: which set of readings is the correct one? Does fogging oil contribute to a higher compression reading?

The engine was used in the Chesapeake (brackish water) without a zinc anode on it. The previous owner flushed it after each use (he knew enough to do that), but the engine still has some corrosion issues. I was able to fire up the engine briefly and it stayed at temperature with good apparent water flow.

I removed the exhaust cover and dremelled out the thin layer of corrosion buildup that was in the water passages. It now looks pretty good. I'll do the same for the intake cover and the water jacket.

My second question is: should I remove the head to clean out any corrosion that's present in those water passages as well? Obvious concern here is stuck bolts (I've had a few, but managed to get most out).

Third question: if I remove the head, is there anything I can do to improve the compression on the engine (if necessary)?

And now a question that does not involve the powerhead. The tilt bolt assembly appears to be frozen. In its current state, the engine can be tilted, but only with a lot of torque. I'm afraid that I won't be able to tilt the engine once I get it on the boat, so I'm trying to loosed it up. I've been able to remove the tilt bolt nut (#0306319), exposing the tilt bolt spring, but it's still just as stiff. I assume the problem must be the conical washer on the other side of the bracket.

Fourth question: any suggestion on how to loosen the tilt bolt assembly?

As always, thanks for all the great advice from this forum. I've really enjoyed tearing this thing down. Hopefully I'll get it back together and working again. :happy:

Regards,
Jonathan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Evinrude 9.9 Compression and Head

The second set of readings are probably accurate. They are good for a rope start engine.

I wouldn't mess with the head or further into cooling passages. They don't sound broke, so I wouldn't fix them.

You have all winter to allow penetrating oil to soak into the tilt bolt assy and loosen it up. That is what I would do.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your tilt pivot shaft being mild steel will become corroded when used around salt water. Like JB says soak it all winter with a penetrating oil & TRY to move it enough to loosen things up. Otherwise remove the nut & try to drive the shaft bolt out, with the idea of cleaning it (sanding off the corrosion) then replacing it. However my experience it you probably will not be able to salvage that pivot bolt. The later motors had a grease fitting on that pivot bolt, yours will not.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well I don't think within reason doing anything to the head would raise you compression, however you can with some very modest modification up your Horse power to 15. many threads on the subject are available here.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i have been working on few motors 9.9/15 and i think 90 psi is low.its my opinion.
almost every head on outboard i had in my hand needed to be ginded 0.4 mm from surface

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

First question: which set of readings is the correct one? Does fogging oil contribute to a higher compression reading?

Oil will help the rings seal, so you'll usually get a higher reading after spraying some into the cylinders. As long as the two cylinders are within about 10% of each other and the motor starts easily enough I'd say 90 to 95 psi is fine. It might not be quite as strong as it was 35 years ago, but that's true of a lot of us :^(

Yooks

Cadet

Thanks for all the great info everyone.