2009 etecs with low compression on #2 cylinder 90 hp $1725?

Allbran

Recruit
Hi all,

I'm looking to repower and found a pair of 2009 etecs with 1300 hours on them. They were twins on a research boat. Apparently each has low compression on cylinder 2. I only will need one, they are asking $1725 each.

Is this worth looking in to for repair and reuse? Apparently gear cases etc are fine.

Thanks!

Sean

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2009 etecs with low compression on #2 cylinder 90 hp $1725?

well, it may become risky. when both have low compression on the same cylinder i guess its not just a bad head gasket but they are worn out here. so at least rehoning and re re ringing this cylinder is needed. at 1300 hours other major components may also be at the end of its useful life ( injectors , gears ) and this may become very costly.

do you have access to the software readout ? where they always driven hard or used mostly for for trolling ? i cannot say how many hours you can expect from an etec when it comes to crankshaft beaings, injectors, etc.

on the other hand , at least in germany , the price is a steal for an 2009 90hp etec and might be worth a thinking about it.

engines which were used commercially with high hours in a short time may be in a very good overall condition with little corrosion and maybe they have plenty of life inside them.

but like said - hardly anybody of the recreational boaters have experience in collecting not hunderds but thousands of hours.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Can you get any compression #'s ??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Fitchs and Etecs are not DIY motors, there are special ways wiring,fuel lines,hoses are ran and has to be reinstalled in that position. Also to my knowledge there is no software except from dealer available to consumers for repairing engine. (CDI Meds is a read only program). Also very odd that both engines are low on same cylinders, could be a swamping incident which could lead to more problems unseen.

Allbran

Recruit

Thank you for the thoughts. I'll see if I can get any compression numbers and get a little backstory. They were on a whale research zodiac so I suspect hard runs followed by lots of idling. I was thinking it may be just easier for them to get rid of one with anything beyond a minor problem and get new ones donated or discounted.